Descent with AI

Hello, in 2020 I want to buy a new Dive Computer with Air Integrated. I Choose at this Moment the Shearwater Teric..but if Garmin bring the Descent with AI I wouldn?t buy the Teric and would change to the Garmin..is there any detaisl about a ne computer with AI ?  CES2020 ?

Top Replies

All Replies

• Supposedly, Garmin will be releasing the next version of the Descent soon...that may have AI. Now, I have the Shearwater Teric (with AI) myself and have had the Mk1. The Teric blows away the Mk1 from a diving standpoint. Garmin was horrible with their software updates and support (via Forums) for the Mk1, they ruined it quite frankly. Now that said, when the Mk2 comes out, it will be based on the F6 platform so you can get the added benefit of having the “All In One” type device with the understanding that problem resolution and watch fixes will be at a VERY slow pace.

Shearwater is much more prompt with fixing problems.

• Do you want a watch that does more than just diving?  Are you into fitness (running, cycling, hiking?, etc.)?

If the Mk2 has AI, it is likely to be more expensive that the Teric, but it will have these extra features:

• Record fitness activities (running, cycling, etc.) with GPS and Heart Rate monitoriing
    • Record daily activities such as Steps, Flights of stairs, Sleep, Stress, Heart Rate
    • Smart Watch with notifications from you phone
    • Record GPS location of Entry and Exit points for each dive

If these are features you want and/or can use, the Mk2 might be for you.  If you don't want or need them, get the Teric.

It is not known how much more expensive it is likely to be but I suspect quite a lot if it's going to be in the MARQ range.  You will probably have to wait until it is released (possibly March) to make your decision.

• One thing I should add... if the Mk2 has AI as suspected, it is not known what type of transmitters it will support.  If it supports PPE (which are used by Shearwater, Oceanic, et al) it will be good.  If Garmin make their own, it will be less usable and will push the price up even higher.

• I was about to post the same comment the other day. The PPS (Pelagic Pressure Systems) transmitters are pretty solid in general. Which is why a company like Shearwater decided to buy them rather than build their own. Suunto went the we can do it better, faster, cheaper route, and that did not work out too well for them. Regardless of what Garmin does I am not going to go AI with Garmin, I will stay with my Shearwater Perdix AI as my primary dive computer. Garmin is just too non-responsive with Support and Updates for my liking. It should never take 18 months to get major bugs fixed on a life support device like a dive computer. 

• Hi everyone, 

Just a though : the MK1 can manage with a HR monitor belt for swimming. So it can communicate with outside tools even in water. Then, if a Air Integrated is developped for the MK2, I will be happy to understand why can't it be used with the MK1 through update.
    Just take a look at the Uwatec Sol/Luna, they have both : HR and AI. 

PS : as frensh native speaker, please excuse my english. 

• Just a though : the MK1 can manage with a HR monitor belt for swimming. So it can communicate with outside tools even in water.

The thing is, it can't and it doesn't.  If you use the HR chest strap while swimming the sensor on the strap stores the HR data and it has to be downloaded after the swim (or dive).  There is no communication under water.

• See: https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/p/512311

"Stores and forwards heart rate data to compatible devices"

"Once you’re resting out of water, real-time heart rate, interval summaries and stored heart rate are transmitted to your watch."

• OK, my mistake, thanks, I was thinking it was like the polar one. 

• My guess is Mk2i is Air Integrated and Mk2 is not.