Single Dive Mode - Second Gas

Gentlemen,

Is it possible to add a second gas, e.g. Trimix, to single dive mode? Descent Mk1 8.00 allows me to add a backup gas - but unfortunately, it is not possible to select it as deco gas when starting a single dive. What I am talking about is switching between Gas 1 (e.g. Air) and Gas 2 (e.g. Trimix) in single dive mode, without having to go back to the dive settings to change the gas mix manually.

Let me specify. The Descent Mk1 online manual states:

Gases

Sets the gas blends. You can enter the oxygen and helium content for the gas, and the device calculates the remaining percentage as the nitrogen content. You can have up to twelve gases for each gas dive mode. The Mode option allows you to set the intended use for the gas, such as decompression or backup.

I cannot find the mentioned Mode option at all in single gas mode. I can add backup gases with specific gas blends, but I cannot select them when initiating a dive in single dive mode. What‘s left to do is to manually change the gas blend for the primary gas in single gas mode - which is not very convenient.

Hope that helps to understand... Sunglasses

Thanks for any help,

Steffen

• The dive modes are actually "Single-Gas" and "Multi-Gas" modes.

You should Multi-Gas mode for what you want to do.  That's what it is there for.

I use Multi-Gas mode quite often.  In fact, I used it yesterday.  Bottom gas was Air and Deco gas was 32%.  I switched gases a few times during the dive.  It is very easy.

• Thank you very much for the insight - but this is not what I am up to. I want to use „Single Gas“ with the opportunity to select a pre-defined gas blend from a list, e.g. Air, EANx, EANy, EANz...

Does not seem to be possible. If I want to use EAN in „Single Gas“, I have to manually adjust the single gas blend to EAN and afterwards back to Air!?

• So you don't want to switch gases during a dive, you just want to save a few seconds in changing the gas that will be the only gas used in the dive?

I don't believe it is possible. 

The part from the manual you quoted is for defining gases to be used on a single dive in Multi-Gas mode.  (Note that for some reason you can also define multiple gases in Single-gas mode but I don't believe you can switch gases during a dive.)

• Correct. I am searching the option to select a pre-defined gas blend before starting a single gas dive. I don‘t get the benefit from adjusting the gas blend manually each and every time I e.g. switch between Air (Monday morning) and EANx (Monday afternoon) and EANy (Monday evening). Besides, I consider manually adjusting the gas blend before each dive as very susceptible for human error.