Dive totals

Hello

I have been using the watch for 3 months now, and something is weird.

This is a dive watch, I think you should have the Totals of dives using the watch.

I mean, apart from the Garmin Connect app, you should have on your watch the following:

- The number of the dive in the dive log

- How many dives you have done using the watch

- Total diving time of all dives together.

I think those are basic information that a dive watch should show... because you have totals of running, cycling and swimming but not diving,  and this is a dive watch..

Hope to get some attention from the garmin team if they are going to include that..

Thank you very much!

Tamir

• To be fair, the “Totals” data for Running, etc. are next to useless. For Running all you get are Weekly and Monthly totals of duration and distance with no indication of how many runs you did in the week or month.

The History data for Running is much the same as for diving. Neither show the number of activities.

The Dive Log on my Mk1 is similar to that on my Oceanic Atom 3.0 (give or take the extra or missing data each device captures. The interface and navigation on the Mk1 is much better in the log.  The Atom does not include Dive Number, Number of Dives on the watch, Total Diving Duration.

The Dive Log on my Perdix AI is better than the Mk1 but that’s mostly because of the larger screen, but both show the same information (give or take as above). It does have Dive Number but not Number of Dives or Total Dive Duration.

Dive Number would be a nice addition to the Mk1 Dive Log (which the Perdix has but the Atom doesn’t), however, I don’t believe that information is available on the watch itself which only has the FIT files. When you update Dive Number in Garmin Connect the FIT file is not updated even on Connect let alone synced back to the watch.

The Dive Log on Connect Mobile is ok for the basic information and almost as portable as the watch itself - other than requiring Internet access to view it.

I recommend forgetting about the Dive Log on the watch and Garmin Connect and get something like Subsurface or MacDive (iOS only) on your phone. You can have much more detailed logs as well as pull all sorts of stats. You will need t load the Mk1 daqta on a desktop or laptop and sync with the phone.

• Hi!

Thanks for answering. 

Anyways, I have been diving recently with a friend of mine while he was using the Sunto d4i.

He showed me the total dives and dives' time using the watch, and also dive log number.

In my opinion,  this is a very basic feature that every dive computer should include.

I mentioned the totals of running, swimming etc because it is absurd that a dive computer doesn't show a total of dives/dives' time but it shows statistics for running and swimming..

I hope Garmin can take those requests on forums and apply them to the watch's update(I have seen many post with reasonable additions that a dive conputer should include), because as far as I see, they don't really care about this $1000 watch... And it is a shame since I recommend to all my fellow divers about this watch, but it can't even show some basic information...(even implementing surface time in dive screen which was requested I think since version 1.0 they didn't do...)

That's my 2 cents..

Thank you for your time :)

• Some photos from the suunto d4i:

Dive totals (hours+dives):

Surface time and no fly time in dive screen:

• What is the value of knowing you’ve done 33 dives to a total of 13 hours with a maximum depth of 30.4m with that particular dive computer? Serious question.

It is interesting as a bit of trivia but I personally don’t see much value in the information.

It is a bit worrying that Suunto are saying you are OK to fly less than 24 hours after your last dive.

Surface Interval should definitely be on the dive screen.

• What is the value of knowing you’ve done 33 dives to a total of 13 hours with a maximum depth of 30.4m with that particular dive computer?

Logbook. Also, if you don’t have access to an Internet connection to upload to GCM, you have a quick reference of information. 

• But you have all the dives already listed in the log. Every bit of detail on every dive. That’s there on the watch.

33 dives for a total of 13 hours and maximum depth of 30.4m means nothing at all.

I have never been asked by a dive operator to show my logbook. If I was, I’d show my Subsurface log on my phone.

• I have never been asked by a dive operator to show my logbook.

I should add that what I’m typically asked for (but not require proof) when on dive trips, particularly to remote areas, is:

• certification level (and I need to show my card)
    • total number of dives (not number of dives on my current computer)
    • date of my last dive

I’ve never been asked for total duration or maximum depth. Max. depth might be of value if the trip involves a lot of dives to 30m but I wasn’t asked on my trip to the Revillagigedo Islands where all the dives were 25-30m.

Date of my last dive is right there in the dive log on my watch.

Total number of dives isn’t currently available on the watch but if dive number was shown in the log it would be.

I remember when I added my Mk1 to Garmin Connect Mobile I was asked (among a bunch of data) the number of dives I’d done up to now and the total duration to date. GCM uses the number of dives to determine the next dive number (or would do if it worked properly but it didn’t at the time) and increments the total duration with each new dive (visible at the bottom of the details for each dive in GCM).

It would be nice if this data was synced back to the watch and displayed on the first screen when you enter the dive log rather than the summary of the last dive.

• You’re overthinking it Atj. All the OP is requesting is to see how many dives the user has to date on the watch. I myself, don’t see it as an outlandish request and it is something beneficial to the end user. Any beneficial data that the user has at his/her disposal without the need for the phone isn’t a bad thing.

Everyone is/has experienced different things and based on those experiences will request, this or request that.

• My fear is that the developers will spend time on this request instead of the huge list of needed fixes/improvements.

• Unfortunately, with the 8.00 update, I already fear we’re at the end, or near the end of improvements for the Mk1. We may get misc. “5x” improvements but very little “diving improvements”. 

They’re going to be focused on the MARQ Diver.