Descent Mk1 Improvement Suggestions

This doesn’t have anything related to the “5x” side of things. I never expected this watch (Mk1) to have anything more than the 5x and with the 8.00 update, sadly this will be one of the final updates for the Descent. That said, I have some suggestions to improve future versions of this watch and if any of you would like to add something, please do.

Max Depth: Every Dive computer I’ve ever had or seen had this information accessible to the diver, while diving. The Mk1 for some unknown reason, does not have this information.

Dive Log Widget Information: In the information on the watch, it gives Min. temp and Average temp. Really no reason why divers need to know the Average temp but knowing the Max temp would make more sense.

Double Tap Screen: The sensitively on this is wayyyy to sensitive. The screens switch all the time underwater with no interaction from the diver. I have 6 staff members who have this watch and it happened to all of them. I just turn the feature off myself as it’s annoying because it changes itself.

Barometer Graph (picture attached): I’ve had a discussion with a staff member at Garmin about this and I still wholeheartedly believe that a Scuba Dive should not affect the Barometer graph/information. I have my Storm Alarm on a lower sensitivity and is always going off after a dive due to the watch trying to readjust the Barometric information. Also, it just ruins the graph. 

Better band: The keepers (the way they are designed), collect a lot of dirt and grime. I switch out my bands often but some of my staff members and customers who wear the same band day in and day out have a “gleam” on a lot of the band, like something as worn off. It specifically states that this band was “treated”, so treated with what?

Data Screen Customization: I prefer to have the option to change around my screens/information and/or eliminate a screen.

Ascent Alert: A lot of computers, have a audible warning if you’re Ascending too quickly, would be nice to have that option to enable (or its there and I never noticed it).

Ok, that’s it from me for now.

• My two cents. 

- Application Prioritization: Ideally this should be user-customizable. But dive mode should take priority unless the user has changed the priorities. 

- Large Font Screen: Some of us need glasses, and a screen with important dive information displayed in a larger font would be fantastic. Preferably this screen would be somewhat user customizable so a user can put the information that is most important to them on the screen. 

- Air Integration: Might as well throw this out there as is it is the 800# gorilla with the Descent. 

I am sure I can come up with some others, but these spring to mind. 

• Max Depth

Interestingly, the Perdix doesn't have this in Rec mode, only in Tec mode.  While my other dive computers have it, I've never needed it but that may be because I regularly dive the same sites and already know the maximum depth.

Dive Log Widget Information

I'm not even sure maximum temperature is of much value.  On warm days my Mk1 always reads higher (sometimes as much as 10ºC) than the water temperature.  Minimum is really all that's needed.

Double Tap Screen

Yeah, nah.  I turned that off after my first dive.  It is easy enough to cycle through with the buttons.

Better band

I am actually still using my original.  When I had mine replaced at the end of last year I didn't like the new band and promptly when back to my original.  It's a little grotty but fine.

Data Screen Customization

Yeah.  It would be good to have some control on what is displayed.  The Perdix and Teric allow this.

Ascent Alert

I don't believe there is any sort of alarm, audible or vibration.  The only vibration alerts I notice are start/end dive, start/end safety stop, and that warning about approaching NDL.  The last one is ridiculous and comes it way to early.  I get it when I'm around 30 minutes from NDL and then never again.  I have even gone into deco without an alert.

Application Prioritization

Yeah, as discussed previously.

Large Font Screen

I'm fine while diving as I have lenses at the bottom of my mask but it would be great for other activities, like running.  I have trouble reading my numbers.

Air Integration

Definitely!  I know a bunch of people that didn't buy the Mk1 because it didn't have AI.  Of course, if the next one has AI I will be torn.

Better determination of dive start

As previously discussed, the watch needs to be smarter on determining the start of a dive.  If my 19 year old Citizen can get it right, Garmin should be able to, too.

Better exit location recording

Turn on the GPS as soon as the dive end has been triggered (<1.2m) rather than waiting until the dive end delay expires and only having the GPS on for a couple of seconds before saving the location.  There's not enough time for an accurate reading from the satellites.

Display Surface Interval on dive screen

Every other dive computer I've ever had shows me my surface interval right there on the screen when the computer is ready for a dive.  It would also be nice to show SI rather than No Fly (which is simply 24-SI) on the watch screen.

• On the 3rd screen, the Shearwater does show the Max Depth:

• It looks like your Perdix is in Tec Mode.

Change it to Rec Mode and see what happens.

i could be wrong but I’ve not found a way to display Max Depth in Rec Mode.

• OK, my mistake.

I just found that Max Depth can be displayed on the bottom row in OC Rec mode, but only by scrolling through the screens and it only displays for a few seconds.

• You can definitely add Max Depth to the main screen on a Perdix in Rec Mode. 

• I’ll have to look again as I have been through all the settings and couldn’t find it. Not that I want or need it but it is interesting to know what is possible.

Of course, by adding it there I’d lose more valuable data such as my tank(s) contents,  SAC and ATR.

• I have the original Perdix, which does not support AI. Considered upgrading to a new one, just never pulled the trigger.

• Well... I must have been blind the few times I looked before.

I can set it on my AI version in either the centre or right position on the bottom row. I don’t understand how I missed it.

i won’t use it as I see no value at all but it’s nice to know it is possible.

• Well that is what you get from a properly designed and executed product.