No Fly time

Hello!

I have just dived for the first time with the Descent MK1.

On my previous computer, it shows how long am I supposed to wait before I take a flight.

Apparently on this watch it shows only in the built-in watch faces!

It doesn't appear on any widget nor the activity it self.

Does it have any solution? Or I have to use the stock watch face?

Furthermore,  is there an option to add surface time to one of the screens in dive mode that shows how long it was before your last dive(of course in the timeframe of 24hours, for example diving at 8am and then when I go again for examle at 14:00 pm, It would show the surface time).

Thank you very much!

• There are so many things that need to be fixed or improved on the Mk1.

Well, I’m glad that this watch has been a priority for Garmin. I couldn’t imagine waiting 6+ months for an update to fix these things.

No way the handling of this watch over the past 1 1/2 years by Garmin, would ever effect future sales of the models in the Diving wearable division.

• Well, I had quite good use of the No flight time indicator a week ago. And by the way, it just counts down 24 h after the latest dive.

I was diving in Sicily and one day we planned to go to the top of Etna, which is 3000 m high. The pressure is less then flying, which normally has the equivalent preassure of about 2600 m when I have checked.

So the Ni flight indicator gave me a good estimate how long to wait before going up to the top of Etna :-). 

• Right, or you could have just looked at the exit time from your last dive and add 24 hours.  i.e. if you got out at 10:30am, you'd have to wait until 10:30am the next day. 

When you think about it, that's far easier than a countdown timer as you'd have to convert it to a time anyway.

• PADI says 18 hours after multiple dives, but I also teach my students at least 24 hours or longer to be safe. 

• I can confirm that the Mk1 is 24 hours for "No Fly" from the exit time of the last dive. i.e. it is merely a countdown timer.  It will make no difference how many dives you do or how deep they are.

Straight after my dive yesterday.

This morning.

• I have had my Descent well over a year now, so I am out of warranty. I would most likely not buy another Descent if/when this one fails due to the poor support by Garmin. It has a lot of potential, but it needs to work and Garmin needs to be very proactive in responding to issues. Well over 6 months now with no updates, and it is not like there are not known issues. The Descent is clearly a low priority product at Garmin, though support seems to be about the same as all other Garmin products. 

I do not recommend the Descent to my students as their primary dive computer. Though I do explain why and leave that choice up to them. 

• I don't know what consumer law is like where you are but here in Australia products have to be fit for purpose.  Despite a one year warranty being offered, a $1000 watch should last multiple years and so Garmin Australia are obliged to replace or repair.

• You could try that argument here, though short of a class action lawsuit it would probably not get much traction. The Consumer Product Safety Commission could investigate, but in the current political climate in the US I doubt they would do anything. 

• Nothing says that this watch won’t last for years. Even in its current state, it’s “useable”. That said, it’s VERY poorly supported. We see all the rhetoric from the Garmin admins about how committed they (Garmin) are to this watch or “hard at work” on updates. I don’t know about all of you here but I’m a firm believer that actions speak much louder than words. We’re heading towards the 7 month mark of juicy nothingness for the Mk1. 

I’ve sold this watch to 6 DM’s and 3 Instructor’s on my staff. Now, only half of them are tech savvy enough to inquire into improvements for their watches but they look to me for answers because after a “staff” discount, they still paid $700+ for the watch. For its base price point, it’s humiliating and all the people involved with the Descent Mk1 program should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for screwing over their customers.

• Will be cool if they had a dive count widget, and also a max depth widget.. Other dive computers have these features, it's lacking quite a bit