No Fly time

Hello!

I have just dived for the first time with the Descent MK1.

On my previous computer, it shows how long am I supposed to wait before I take a flight.

Apparently on this watch it shows only in the built-in watch faces!

It doesn't appear on any widget nor the activity it self.

Does it have any solution? Or I have to use the stock watch face?

Furthermore,  is there an option to add surface time to one of the screens in dive mode that shows how long it was before your last dive(of course in the timeframe of 24hours, for example diving at 8am and then when I go again for examle at 14:00 pm, It would show the surface time).

Thank you very much!

• You can include a SIT widget in your widget loop. You can change options in the Dive Screen but there is no ability to change from one piece of information to another, so no adding SIT time.

Hopefully in the next update, “Maximum Depth” during the dive will be added. 

• Hi!

Thank you for the reply.

Already have SIT widget but I don't have No Fly Time in the widget.

• I teach my students 24hrs. Other agencies are a little different with their training.

• Yes I Understand that, but sometimes if it only one dive it changes or if you do a week full of dives it changes. Usually it is 24 hours, but you expect from$1000 dive watch to show this simple information that any $300 computer would show..

• I previously requested for surface interval to be shown on the dive screen.  Let's see if they implement it.  At the moment it is not possible to have the watch ready for a dive but still know it has been more than 60 minutes since the last dive.

• Hope the imply also No Fly time aa a widget/in dive  screen. 

Amazing watch but needs software improvements 

• I'm not so fussed about the No Fly Time.  There has been a lot of research of late on how long one should wait after diving before flying.  Basically there appears to be a lot of variation between different individuals.  Some people are "bubble-prone" others are not. If you want to be safe, you should wait the maximum possible time before flying.

https://alertdiver.eu/en_US/articles/flying-after-diving-finally-the-facts-not-just-theory

• Aircraft types play too as older designs are pressurized to 8000ft, while newer designs rarely exceed 6000ft. Well described in Wienke's Technical Diving in Depth.  I was boarding planes with my hair still wet and had no problems after deep deco dives. Week's liveaboards were different story. 

• I agree. It should be possible to add this to custom watch faces, as it seems like Garmin isn't exposing the setting. There's no reason not to. Having it as a widget wouldn't be ideal in my opinion, but why not just add it to both and everyone has the choice of seeing it as a widget or on their watchface.

• Personally, I don’t see great value in a “No Fly” field. In my opinion, if you are relying on your dive computer to tell you when you can fly suggests poor planning and/or unnecessary risk taking.

Unless you own your own plane, or know someone that does, you are going to be flying on commercial aircraft. This means you need to book a flight days to months in advance. You will almost certainly need to book more than 24 hours before the flight. If you are diving less than 24 hours before your booked flight you are taking a risk. What will you do if the computer says you can’t fly at the scheduled time for the flight?

I can think of a couple of exceptions to the above. You may have just returned from a dive to a message from your boss telling you to fly interstate tomorrow. You may have arrived at the airport early for your flight and be offered an earlier flight. In both cases, it’s easy enough in those rare occasion to switch to a built-in watch face to see what your “No Fly” time is and make a decision based on that - assuming the “No Fly” time has any actual meaning (see below).

What does the Mk1 actually display for “No Fly” time and how is it calculated? My Citizen Cyber Aqualand NX simply counted down from 24 hours after the end of the last dive. My Oceanic Atom 3.0 does the same thing. My Shearwater Perdix doesn’t even display a “No Fly” time (well not that I can find in the manual or on any screens).

If the Mk1 simply counts down from 24 hours it adds no value at all. It’s pretty easy to work out when you can fly based on the time your last dive ended!

Now, perhaps the Mk1 estimates the “No Fly” time based on the simulated residual nitrogen in tissues. If that is the case it’s going to be very much altitude based and so the “No Fly” time will vary by what you do after you dive and the elevation of the airport. For example, I checked the residual nitrogen on my Mk1 this morning after I left home for work. It was 34 hours since my last dive (which was very shallow) and my residual nitrogen was 1% (I live around 200m above sea level). Interestingly my “No Fly” time was blank on a built-on watch face where I added it - so either 1% is acceptable or it just waits 24 hours.

I’ve never looked at “No Fly” time on my Mk1 after a dive it but I will check this weekend and see what it says.

There are so many things that need to be fixed or improved on the Mk1. In my opinion, “No Fly” is not one of them.