Translation Issues - Translation Errors - German Language

Former Member
Former Member

Hello Community,

Just got a Descent MK1 and played a lot with it and its' Options.

I've found some Translation Errors - even in the DIVE Options. Found the Errors already in January '19 and reported them to the German support.

Answer from the support (translated to English): "Oh, we are sorry. I understand that you want a product with a complete translation of everything in the options menu."

Maybe someone here is listening to me and understands my problem with the translations.

Example: Conservatism for Decompression gives you "High", "Medium", "Low" what should be "Hoch", "Mittel", "Niedrig" in German. BUT instead it says "Flut" for "High". Flut means Flood.....

Also in Compass/Barometer - if I open the options menu for that it says "Optionen für 'ABC' - what I think is not the right text....

Please Garmin - fix that! Maybe just an update of the translation files would be possible - not even the whole firmware.

Best Regards,

Thomas

• Try the following (I managed this successfully with Fenix 3):

In the Garmin/Text directory of your Descent MK1 you will find a file called german.ln3. Make copy of this file to your PC, then edit original file with Notepad.exe and correct all the wrong texts (try to keep the same length of text as it is originally!). Disconnect Descent from the PC and restart it (power down / power up)

If it does not work, upload the saved copy of german.ln3 date back to Descent MK1.

CAUTION! Do not forget, you are doing this at your own risk!

• Not a bad suggestion but he shouldn’t HAVE to do that for risk of a mistake made and screwing up something.  Because of the molasses type of updates for this watch, let’s see if the language files are fixed in the next update...which now seems to be on a 5 month schedule, which would bring it to the first week of June based on the last update.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to pprimoz

Hey,

Thank you very much!

Works just fine and I finally got rid of the rather embarrasing translation errors!

Before I was not really willing to show it to my buddies (as they know how expensive the MK1 is...)

The only thing I had to do, was to change to another language and then back to german - probably to reload the new file.

Thanks again!

• You are right, after I corrected the texts, I too had to change the language into English and back to Slovenian to see the changes.

• Thomas,

did more or less the same here. It's not about 'Flut' instead of 'hoch', it is about the really scary mistakes when it comes to technical - mostly life-saving - translation errors. What's so difficult translating 'Bottom Gas' to 'Grundgas' and 'Travel Gas' to 'Abstiegsgas'?

Wie dem auch sei - we should perhaps volunteer for the translations. Did that years ago for the first Garmin Edge generation.

Steffen