This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Diving Compass Issue (Reset Heading)

Ok, so...when you set a heading at 000 degrees and then you rotate to 30 degrees and hit “Start” button it seems to subtract 10 degrees and only reflect 20 degrees (but it should show 30). When you select “Reset Heading” it resets it to 20 degrees and that is your new heading. This is with “Magnetic North” selected in the main compass widget.

Now, on a hunch I went in and changed the compass widget to look at “True North” as opposed to “Magnetic North” and went back into the Dive Compass and when you go through the same process as I described before, it works properly. So, when you have MG selected the UW compass “Reset Heading” works incorrectly and when TN is selected, the “Reset Heading” works fine.
  • Ok I had to try this out to see what you are talking about and I now understand what you mean. I'm in Alaska and it appears what it is doing is when you set it at 000 as your first heading then it is correct but when you rotate to another heading ( I'll use your 30 degrees) It is adding the magnetic declination of where you are at. (At least for me) When I rotate to the 30 degrees and reset the heading it adds 15 degrees which is the declination of my area of Alaska and it is then reading true north when changing headings instead of MN.This may be why it is correct when its in the TN setting because its already reading TN. However if I want to set it for 30 degrees then after I hit the select button and before I push it a second time to select "Reset heading" I can rotate the watch a bit to the correct heading and then press the select button to lock it in. This should be fixed though.
    If I am correct then wherever you are located your magnetic declination is -10 for TN?
  • Hi Tony,

Yes that is correct -10 for the MD. In the 4.00 software, it acted normally.

Luckly this and the Flashlight bug that plagued the older software 5x’s, are the only issues I’ve found so far.
  • Hi Tony,

Yes that is correct -10 for the MD. In the 4.00 software, it acted normally.

Luckly this and the Flashlight bug that plagued the older software 5x’s, are the only issues I’ve found so far.

What is the flashlight bug?
  • The issue was fixed with the update to the “5” series of 12.00 in December (“Fixed an issue with backlight level, when using Flashlight”). When you activated it (controls or hot key) and then hit the any button to exit, it dims instead of exiting and then you have to hit it again.

I use the Flashlight often, so to me it’s a major annoyance. To others, not so much.
  • Alright Gentlemen, I been trying to reproduce this for a while now and still have not seen what you two are reporting. This most likely means, I am overlooking or missing a step while trying to reproduce it. Could one of you please list the steps to reproduce this so that I can reproduce it and get it reported?
  • Garmin-Heath I took pictures of what I was referring too but this forum isn’t good at uploading pictures. Can you PM me Heath with an email address to send them too?
  • PM sent. Look forward to your reply.
  • We were able to reproduce this issue, thank all of you that reported this.
    Also, I am sorry that it took so long to reproduce this issue after it was reported. It turns out that Olathe, Kansas, where I am located, has only a 1.70 degree difference. So when I was doing the testing, I did not know that at the start and when I saw the change I thought I just moved the device when pushing the button. When I had a co-worker at another location, they could see their bigger magnetic variation.
  • Garmin-Heath

Anytime you want to send me a watch to beta test ;D
  • This was fixed in software update 8.00.