This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mk2 Descent?

Hello All,

when will a Mk2 Descent with music comes to live? Any idea?

Thank you for your help.
  • I’d imagine sometime in 2020. They’re releasing a new model around May/June of this year and I bet they’d save CES 2020 to introduce the Fenix 6.
  • Looking at the descent mk1 now but I’d hate to get it and in couple of minutes the to see mk2 out

What model are they releasing this year (guess is just speculations but still)

anyway back to descent mk1 it’s not so new anymore right? And I see last fw update Jan 2018 (hope is a mistake in their website cause more than one year since last update it looks as good as end of life already).
  • And I see last fw update Jan 2018 (hope is a mistake in their website cause more than one year since last update it looks as good as end of life already).

Check the top of this forum. Last firmware update was January 2019 (a little under a month ago).
  • Looking at the descent mk1 now but I’d hate to get it and in couple of minutes the to see mk2 out

What model are they releasing this year (guess is just speculations but still)

anyway back to descent mk1 it’s not so new anymore right? And I see last fw update Jan 2018 (hope is a mistake in their website cause more than one year since last update it looks as good as end of life already).

They updated the MK1 3 times last year. In terms of the new watch, last time I said the name and timeframe of release, they (Garmin) deleted the whole topic...so research the upcoming watch convention in May/June and what name they trademarked last year.
  • I saw the forum post but then why it says 2018 on Garmin official page? https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=14157

looked a bit for new launch hints but nothing dive related (at least not in my search that is)

guess s I’ll just wait then couple of months
  • Just found a 20% off on a brand new MK1. It’s itching me so bad ????????????
  • From a diving standpoint, it’s a good watch. From a feature standpoint, it’s still behind the Fenix 5x (2017) in terms of features, etc. Galileo hasn’t been enabled yet and it has the same “Flashlight” issue that the 5x had before the 12.00 update.

The Fenix 6 and Descent Mk2 will be announced later this year. If it’s within your budget, get the MK1 knowing that it’s getting close to the end of its “regular” upgrade cycle.
  • I said pass for the moment. I have my Fenix 3 HR which does the job for my sport needs (except newly started dives). I just hate how slow it is.

I like the 5x plus with all the features it brings (speed, maps, music, more metrics).

I think I’ll wait more to see the descent mk2 what brings on the table.

In other words, I see lots of people hoping to get AI on mk2 but I’m struggling to understand if, for the occasional diver who doesn’t own the full equipment, this option is really useful. Basically you need the “thing” on top of the watch whenever you go diving. And the dive shop could say no in order to guarantee the safety of their equipment.
  • AI means Air Integrated. You need to have a transmitter connected to a High Pressure port on the first stage of the regulators you use. The transmitter send the current tank pressure to the air integrated dive computer so you can see your current tank pressure right there on the dive computer.

If you don't own your own regulators it is not really a useful feature as your hired regs won't have the transmitter. Even if they did, it may not be compatible with your dive computer.

That said, I have all my own gear and AI would make the Descent the perfect dive computer for me. Alas, I'll have to wait.
  • AI is definitely the most requested feature for the Descent but if one day they ever implemented it on a model, it can and will open up a can of worms. AI is by far and away the least reliable of the three types of computers (intergrated and non-intergrated). I never bring in AI computers into my store as people lose connection often. They may know their depth but not knowing PSI is an issue...with Garmin’s track record of Bluetooth connection loss on these watches (not just Descent), it may be a disaster.

Keeping in mind, I sell things to customers, as an Instructor. So safety is always a priority.