Stuck in Dive Mode

I've encountered an interesting conundrum with my Descent. I wore it flying yesterday, and somehow during the flight bumped it in just the right way to enter the multi-gas page. From there, an increase in cockpit pressure triggered the "dive start," and I've been unable to exit the dive since. Troubleshooting methods so far have included: resetting via the "light" button (powers back on into dive mode with the clock still running), charging normally, and syncing via cord to my computer. The dive counter is going on 24hrs now. Any suggestions for how to manually end the dive shy of returning to the appropriate altitude? I'm hoping I've overlooked a simple solution.
  • Do you know anyone with a camera housing with a vacuum seal?

You could put your Descent in the empty housing and pump out air until you get back to cabin pressure. Wait for the dive to end and hope that it doesn't go back into dive mode when it goes back to atmospheric pressure.
  • I'm sure one of my friends has such a housing, I'll see if I can't give that a shot! If it (or anything else) works I'll be sure to update just in case anyone else runs into the same problem.
  • Have you tried resting tissue loads?

Settings->System->Restore Defaults->Reset Tissue loads or also plugging into a pc / Mac.

Failing that or your pressure method, I’d be trying a hard reset.
  • After some further troubleshooting, went with a reset. Much to my surprise, rebooting after the reset/clearing all user data brought me to a readout that (as far as I know) shouldn't exist. I could scroll through several pages (just like during a dive), but the pages included both the dive pages and the run pages. Additionally, the dive counter was STILL running from before the reset. After thouroughly discussing this all with a Garmin support tech, I sent them my device files for analysis and they are replacing the watch.
  • After some further troubleshooting, went with a reset. Much to my surprise, rebooting after the reset/clearing all user data brought me to a readout that (as far as I know) shouldn't exist. I could scroll through several pages (just like during a dive), but the pages included both the dive pages and the run pages. Additionally, the dive counter was STILL running from before the reset. After thouroughly discussing this all with a Garmin support tech, I sent them my device files for analysis and they are replacing the watch.

This sounds like a serious bug, the big question is, if anyone else ran through this issue or if it was a single case with your watch.

Would you mind keeping us posted on this issue?

• This sounds like a serious bug, the big question is, if anyone else ran through this issue or if it was a single case with your watch.

Would you mind keeping us posted on this issue?

If I have any further developments, I'll be sure to let you know. One of my hopes with the post on here was to bring attention to the issue and spark the troubleshooting discussion, as I was not able to find anything when I started looking into it.
  • I assume people must have flown with a Descent before so I hope this is a one off. I know I sometimes bump the top right button and it puts the watch into whatever my last activity was. It is scary to think that doing this on a flight could kill the watch.

Interestingly, a couple of months ago I was the subject of a photoshoot and was having being photographed in the water with my full gear. We were only shallow but the Descent registered it as two dives even though I never put it into dive mode. The last activity I had done on the watch was a run so it didn't need to be in dive mode to record as a dive.
  • I went to Bonaire in April and didn’t have any issues flying. It is a bit disconcerting though knowing that you can inadvertently hit the application button and for all intensive purposes “brick” your watch.
  • If I have any further developments, I'll be sure to let you know. One of my hopes with the post on here was to bring attention to the issue and spark the troubleshooting discussion, as I was not able to find anything when I started looking into it.

I hope they are able to find anything on the sent in watch.
  • It may have been a hardware fault that happened on the flight. My first Descent had to be replaced shortly after I got when the depth sensor failed and it would never go into dive mode as it thought I was always on the surface. Second one has been fine from a hardware perspective.