This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Total failure during a dive: depth/time/NDLs. Very bad.

Hi, I’m sad to say I’ve had several failures on dives since buying a G1 a couple of months ago. I’ve been diving it most days as my primary computer, (~70 dives).

The worst failure happened today when I lost depth, time and NDL. It appears to be linked to Navigate mode.

I use Nav sometimes to drop dive spots on GPS. After beginning descent, the G1 stayed in Nav mode instead of automatically reverting to dive mode as it should. Once I manually exited Nav mode (which is a pain in itself, having to stop then discard the activity) the computer entered dive mode. However the only data field working was depth - dive time was stuck at 00:00 and NDL at 99+. 

After switching to my backup computer (as mentioned, this isn’t the first failure sadly) I tried a hard reset of the G1 which didn’t work. The G1 didn’t recognise it was underwater, and after manually entering dive mode the depth was no longer working either (stuck at 0m).

I had a similar issue last week (having to manually exit nav mode underwater to get into dive mode) but on that occasion the dive mode functioned properly.

A couple of weeks previously, I had a depth sensor failure near the start of a dive. When I ascended, the computer was stuck in dive mode until I did a hard reset.

On another occasion the Garmin restarted midway through a dive, but reverted back into dive mode with the dive data still intact.

Finally, I’ve had two compass failures during dives. Easily fixed by recalibrating after the dive but quite annoying nonetheless. 

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? It’s a shame because if it worked reliably this would be a brilliant piece of kit. But I’m not sure I can rely on this computer while teaching students given what’s happened.

• Growing visibility on this issue well post 9.27 release… any updates for us? Diving community was so excited about this device but I can’t imagine it will be easy to recover from a loss of confidence in such a core, critical function.

• A few things:

If you use any activity, this will negate dive mode from activating. This has been in place since the original MK1, so this should be of no surprise.

What should be addressed by Garmin is the depth sensor failure and the watch restarting underwater. If Garmin wants to have its users trust their products in regards to a life support sport, then they need to show the community that things like this are promptly handled. This post is over a month old and no public comment from Garmin...

• I am sorry there have been issues. If you haven't already, please do not hesitate to reach out to Outdoor Product Support in your region. Thank you.