Garmin Descent G1 Nitrox configuration?

Hello,

I recently logged my 5x AOW dives on my G1 Solar and I have to say that I have been quite lucky not experiencing any issues with it.

I read threads on this forum before my first dive with it and was kind of scared but all went well.

Only things I'm not too sure about are

- the altimeter - I tried to calibrate it at sea level but it kept giving me weird numbers afterwards

- the compass -  Tried to calibrate also but kept getting about 20 degrees difference with my iPhone and an a physical compass

Anyway, I am getting ready to work on my Nitrox certification and was wondering how to configure this on the G1.

Would I have to override my default gas settings for Nitrox and change them back each time I was to go back to air?

I don't think I've seen a way to duplicate the Single Gas profile to have two Single Gas (one for air and one for Nitrox).

Thank you for your input.

-- David.

• When you do your Nitrox certification, you'll learn that there isn't a 'standard' Nitrox - Nitrox just refers to an air mix with a higher oxygen amount than 21%. But you don't always get exactly what it's 'sold' as - there can quite often be some variation, for example EAN32 might actually be 31% or 33% oxygen, and you'll get used to testing the mix for yourself before you dive. Therefore, you couldn't really have a single, separate profile for Nitrox dives, as you'd still need to set the O2% every time anyway so there wouldn't really be much advantage over just having one Single Gas profile that you adjust the O2% of when you're diving on any form of Nitrox. Hope that makes sense!

• ALT: Try calibrating using the DEM option and see if you get a more accurate number

Compass: Is it set on True North or Magnetic North? 

Nitrox: You’ll have to enter manually for each dive what your % is. This also matters with your dive partner as well. If he or she is diving air (and you’re diving Nitrox), then you have to dive off of the most conservative, dive profile, which in this case would be air.

I don’t come here often anymore, so if you respond I may not see it.

• Hi Neil,

Thank you. Your explanation was very clear.

• Thank you Odie for your feedback. That is helpful.