Open water swim - activity pauses and watch restarts

My Descent G1 repeatedly pauses the activity when doing open water swimming. Sometimes also the watch restarts during the activity (the triangle and Garmin logo is displayed and the actvity resumes after a little while). Anyone else experienced this. Is there a solution to the problem?

Have experienced the problem before and after updating to 8.64. 

• Hey all, it looks like we have only had a couple contacts for this issue so I would like to work with you to get it escalated. Please pm me if you are experiencing the issue and let me know what activity types your G1 has restarted during and more importantly if it has restarted or shut down during a dive.

• I have done several more similar activities as described in the initial post. No similar problems so it seems to be unusual.

• I have done several more similar activities as described in the initial post. No similar problems so it seems to be unusual.

• I'm sorry, it seems to be not unusual for me. As the only activity that have not have this "autopause/restart" for me now is running. Trail running is especially on every activity will have at least one pause. Yesterday i just had a 3 hour 34 mins trail and it pause at 16min36. So I'm not sure what is so unusual now?

• Sorry to hear that. I meant it is an unusual problem for my G1.

• Hello again, Just returned from my vacation and fortunately, the watch didn't have any of the shutdowns-restarts I encountered in my prior dives.
    Apart from freediving, I had also two scuba dives down to 30 meters with no issues. with 8.64
    All dives were at around 26 27 Celcius and surface temperature around 31 to 35. 

Not sure if the issue will occur in lower temperatures tho.

Quite happy with the overall performance of the watch and the dive app, Have to work with registering the entry and exit dive points as they seem a bit off.

• My problem with open water is it doesn’t record GPS track in cold water when the temperature is below 16C. It happened last winter then the problem was gone when the temperature got higher (wasn’t sure it was the reason). Now the problem is back (again the only difference is low water temperature). That’s a big issue for me - no distance recorded for any winter open swimming activities. Shame

• Same issue. Contacted Garmin-Nate per his request a week ago and no response. Returning before it's too late. Effects on brand new firmware and previous version as well. I see this unreliability has also been reported on other forums...

Often reboots randomly, seems to be associated with water contact. Has happened in the middle of Apnea dive, Pool Swim, Open Water swim, etc. I did not take it scuba because it appears to be unreliable. 

This is my first Garmin wearable, and I was really getting onboard with the whole ethos, but this just isn't even remotely ok. In addition to that it has variously locked up for 20/30s at a time, and has pretty questionable software overall. Fortunately I can still return vs. dealing with questionable customer support, and there is now another player in this device category. 

• Yeah. sent all information and is also my first garmin wearable. It's not only restart and pause with water, it happens a lot also during hiking mode. The only mode that it doesn't pause or stop so far is anything to do with running and cycling.

• I am not sure whether it helps with the crashes of G1, but several Instinct 2 owners experiencing crashes while swimming, reported relation to Bluetooth - apparently when the watch temporarily connects to the phone somewhere in the proximity (often even further away in the lockers, or on the beach), and then loses the connection as you dive or swim farther away, it can cause the crash. They reported that after turning off BT on the phone, or on the watch, while swimming, they did not experience any further reboots.

Instinct 2 is a very similar watch to the G1, so it may be worth of trying it on G1 too.