Will We Get 8.04 Update?

I know we don't get Betas on dive computers and the wait-time between releases is longer, but given the newness of the G1 and the significant number of goodies included in the Instinct 2 8.04 Beta, can we be hopeful of a public release for the G1 at a similar time to the Instinct?

• Short answer, no.

We should get 7.03 within a month or so and then we won’t see another update for 1-3 months after that. Garmin is HORRIBLE at supporting their specialty watches. They use the excuse that they need to completely test the unit, yet other watches have jumpmaster which is a skydiving application which is just as dangerous as scuba diving yet they have Beta’s. I’ve never believe that line of garbage from Garmin and I never will.

You notice that even though I pinged Garmin Nate about the depth sensor issue, he never responded? I’ll call Garmin next week if I see the same issue this Sunday when I teach again.

• That's frustrating, especially as I won't need any of the dive functionality until the summer so effectively my G1 will just be an Instinct 2 till then, but without the benefits of the significant added functionality. Yes, I knew this would be the case and I could have left it a few more months till I got the G1, but with current global component shortages I didn't want to risk availability issues.

• Aside from the glitches (which unfortunately are important to me), it works fairly well. New features are nice but after owning the MK1 for 2 years, I learned quite a bit hence why I refused to put any money towards a MK2. In fact, I pushed the Shearwater Teric to my customers because of how Garmin handles these watches.

I knew that gaining new features/functionality for this watch would be painstakingly slow but I like the Instinct lineup, so I’ll take the good with the bad.

• At least in the comments section of Garmin Adds 25+ New Features to Fenix 7/Epix/Instinct 2, Shifts to Quarterly Features Updates | DC Rainmaker, Ray confirms that a corresponding update is "in the hopper" for the G1 - though obviously without a timescale that's only of limited comfort.

• Well, at this rate plus the fact that my region (APAC) updates are usually 3-4 months behind (according to MK1 and MK2 subforum). Now I just lost interest in the Descent series. 

I guess Shearwater Peregrine then.

Was in the midst of considering G1 as a dive comp + a major upgrade to Venu (sports aspect based in Instinct 2), didn't know about the Descent series update delay + APAC major delay from the rest of the world before reading this sub.