Display problems

I bought a descent g1 and descent g1 solar. I also own an instinct solar.

The descent g1 solar is SIGNIFICANTLY dimmer than both my descent g1 and instinct solar, both without the backlight and backlight at all levels. I have compared the brightness in many situations both indoors and outdoors.

Additionally, polarization or display wash out is a problem. 

With backlight on, relative to line of sight, at 0 degrees (i.e. screen facing UP) to 90 degrees (i.e. screen facing eyes), descent G1 and descent G1 solar both get very washed out. But the instinct solar does NOT get washed out. These angles are the normal use range.

With backlight on, relative to line of sight, at 180 degrees (i.e. screen facing DOWN) to 90 degrees (i.e. screen facing eyes), descent G1 and descent G1 solar both do not get washed out. But the instinct solar DOES. These angeles are NOT the normal use range, so the instinct solar does not present a problem, but the descent G1 screen visibility is significantly diminished. 

These may seem like minor issues, but when you're paying this kind of money with no expectation of inferior display legibility over a last generation watch (instinct solar; I know they're different watches but the displays are similar), it's just extremely disappointing. At greater depths, divers will need good legibility with the backlight and I'm very concerned that won't be met and that it'll be a struggle in the water. 

I've contacted Garmin but haven't heard back yet. Hoping there's a resolution that doesn't involve returning and going with a different brand altogether. 

• I was teaching in a pool on Saturday, about 9’ at depth. Didn’t see anything “unusual” but again, it was just a swimming pool.

• That's a serious problem... I thought that the 4 screws were just a design feature but here we see that they really hold the bezel.... And that's bad because the bezel is plastic here and have the tendency to deform.  I wonder why they had to choose that design and not just stick with the instinct design? Putting metal screws on a plastic is never a good thing!!!

I strongly recommend that you return both of them if both have that gap because salt will built in slowly and for sure the watch will have problem in the future!!

It seems something that really shouldn't happening and the warranty should cover it. You keep returning them until they give you a piece that doesn't have this gap or any other gap like that.

• I would suggest that you invert the screen colors. The background should be black and the time should be white. Maybe it's still dimmer, but I think that it's much more readable in that way :)