G1 Bugs

The programming is backwards:

When connected to phone it should be 45 Days, when disconnected from phone it should be 114 Days but it’s reading backwards (connected to phone 114/D, not connected 45/D)

Update: It seems to work as intended when HR is enabled. When it’s disabled (as seen in these pictures), it when the battery information is incorrect.

Flashlight Bug:

When set as a hot key and used, it doesn’t work. The control panel flashlight works fine, just not the hot key.

Correction: While it works (CP option), when you hit the start key, it dims and doesn’t work anymore.

Battery Saver Seconds Issue:

While on the main watch page, the seconds disappear as a battery saver. You really have to flick your wrist hard and/or several times to get it to come back. It’s not as sensitive as the other models (Instinct). One time, I had to flick my wrist 4 times before the seconds came back on. (Using the watch face that has the graph).

• after all these issues raised in this forum, is it better to buy a shearwater than Garmin?

• Depends... Issues? After all it works perfectly fine. How many they sold? Here you have some techgadgeds guys who love to deep in and look for something. Or have it on 100%. I'm using them for freediving and they are perfect vibration are strong and alarm sound enough to hear it. Even on MTB. Walking etc.... Depends. Only for freediving? Go and buy watch only for freediving.

• Shearwater is excellent but is dedicated to diving for the moment and even if they add other sport features they will need a lot of time before they manage to even compete Garmin and Suunto.also the battery life of Garmin is by far the best!

For now the only Shearwater watch model you can buy is the Teric, but it's battery is just a little better than an apple watch (actually apple is the worst in that topic).

Here we speak about the G1 but if you want to compare something with the Teric you must compare the Mk2 or the Mk2s that are in the same price range.

The G1 price range can put it in comparison with the Scubapro A2.  But those 2 watches are very different.  The G1 has gps and al that sport and activity tracking features but the A2 has air integration and an adaptive algorithm that works with a chest strap that measures hrm and skin temperature.

Of course Garmin could add this to the Descent line but don't expect this soon... Maybe at the Mk3 and next models

• For me Garmin is the choice if I mist have one dive watch/computer, but if I ever turn to technical diving I will use 2 dive computers so it will be Garmin combined with Shearwater!!

• I have the Teric and am quite happy with it. I so wanted the Garmin dive series watches to be the final one stop shop type of watch but I can’t get over the Garmin disclaimer of inaccurate information. 

• If you mean that 4 feet deeper for 1 second in a pool that you described earlier, I can tell you that this is not an inaccurate information and it can happen to any dive computer... That's why many of them take samples of more than 1 second... Garmin takes samples of 1 second and had to pay the price for that!

By moving your hand forward and backward underwater you cause different pressures , there not so huge but when the angle of your hand increase the pressure to the depth sensor you might experience a difference in depth... For sure 4 feet is too much but is very unlikely that it will ever happen again and even if it does it will not affect you deco at all because is for a split of a second... And it just habe to measure as a whole second for tracking purposes!

• No, sorry you are 100% incorrect and have no idea what you’re talking about. First and foremost, I was in a  stationary position and was NOT moving my arms. Second, this does NOT happen with Dive Computers.

I’ve personally used over 4 dozen different types of dive computers during both my personal AND professional career and this does not happen.

I even used the MK1 for 2+ years (I put 220+ dives on it) and never once did it happen with that computer. 

Just stop

• I have no reason to sell for anyone....

What you describe is no problem at all. It was only for a split second that your watch recorded wrong!

I have seen mine working normally and the log file to be fragmented, so if you haven't seen live your watch to show different depth it doesn't mean that during the dive it had problem... Its probably the log file that displayed this anomaly.

But even with that tiny error it's not possible to have any effect at the decompression model... So take it easy.... This is one the best choices for a dive watch/computer that exists out there!