D2 Delta - version 5.40

Garmin has released version 5.40 for the D2 Delta series. From Garmin's "Updates & Downloads" pages for the various D2 Delta devices (see below for individual links), the consolidated list of changes are below; where a feature only applies to a specific device it is so identified.

Changes made from version 5.20 to 5.40:

• Fixed an issue saving aviation-related settings through a power cycle.
  • Fixed an issue where the device would crash when trying to use the 'Set a target' training option.
  • Fixed an issue where the device would crash when creating a round trip route.
  • Fixed an issue where the device could intermittently stop recording distance during a swim activity.
  • Fixed an issue where the battery gauge reports an incorrect value after a power cycle.
  • Fixed an issue where the user was not able to set the Compass North reference in Russian.
  • Fixed an issue where the device wouldn't receive iOS notifications intermittently.
  • Fixed an issue where stroke data during a rowing activity was not available on Varia vision.
  • Fixed an issue where the device would try to auto resume an activity during 'Resume later,' if connected to an inReach Mini.
  • Fixed an issue where Strength activity summary information was displaying dashes on the Last Sport widget.
  • Added support for 'Buenos Aires, Argentina' as a valid time zone on the Alternate Time Zone widget.
  • Made several improvements and bug fixes for golf, especially CT10.

Changelog links:
Delta: "Updates & Downloads"
Delta S: "Updates & Downloads"
Delta PX: "Updates & Downloads"

• I continue to maintain a list of bugs, requests, fixes and workarounds. I personally have a D2 Delta device but I am unable to contribute to the list for anything that specifically/only affects the Delta S or the Delta PX.

I've bolded anything that would generally consider to be a serious issue that impedes use of the watch or included functionality (ie. reboots versus display or other issues). Reply below with comments and I'll keep the list updated.

Outstanding issues / bugs:

• [WATCH] Altimeter hardware does not seem to properly handle rapid elevation changes, either from lag or hanging (also affects Fenix 5X+)
    • [WATCH] Running Dynamics drops out around two minute mark when phone is connected; workaround: disable connection to phone while running (also affects Fenix 5X+)
    • [WATCH] There is no way to clear the tail number (aircraft registration) once entered into the watch config
    • [WATCH] sunrise/sunset calculations appear to be incorrect
    • [GPS] cannot receive a GPS fix within the flight deck of an Airbus A-320 (and several other aircraft)
    • [WIDGETS] METAR widget uses watch setting for METAR visibility -- add configuration option for "visibility" to "Aviation Units" section
    • [WIDGETS] METAR widget displays blanks screen if station (nearest or manually entered) does not have a published METAR (eg. CYCZ)
    • [WIDGETS] METAR widget does not display the numeric value for the TAF visibility, and instead shows "P SM" or "SM" without the number
    • [WIDGETS] METAR widget does not handle one-way runways properly when displaying runway wind information
    • [WIDGETS] METAR widget does not calculate the runway headwind/crosswind components properly (runway magnetic heading is used with METAR wind, which is true heading)
    • [WIDGETS] Temperature widget does not display the proper density altitude when using metric units on the watch
    • [CONNEXT] Garmin Pilot does not receive the altitude from the watch

Feature requests:

• [WATCH] don't display the Nav Data status at the end of the "About" section, but instead display it after firmware version numbers
    • [WATCH] add configuration option for "visibility" to "Aviation Units" section, to allow selection of SM, meters or kilometers
    • [WATCH] add configuration option for "pressure" to "Aviation Units" section, to allow selection of inHG or mb
    • [WIDGETS] METAR widget only displays cloud coverage (sky) information when there is a measured ceiling but should display FEW and SCT when no ceiling is present
    • [WIDGETS] METAR widget "Use Nearest" function should retrieve an active GPS fix rather than using the last known position
    • [WIDGETS] METAR widget only displays the first six (6) periods of the TAF, which I believe is a holdover from the memory issues on the older D2 Bravo devices

Fixed issues:

• [WATCH] add support for Galileo GNSS
    • [WATCH] add support for Spotify (feature request, added in FW 4.50)
    • [WATCH] pop-up first-time help/hint bubbles are displayed after every reboot and/or sync [fixed in 5.40]
    • [WIDGETS] Altimeter widget ignores the widget configuration for display units of "feet" when general watch config is set to metric [fixed in 5.40]

Old issues [could not be confirmed or appear to work as expected]:

• none at this time
  • Here are a couple of things I have noticed with 5.40:

- The auto flight timer is not working for me (may have been since 5.20). I had to manually hit the start button for me recent two flights (FW 5.20 on the first and 5.40 the latest). The flight mode is set to "Auto Fly" at 500 fpm and timer set to record at 30 kt speed.

- Altimeter still lags by a couple of minutes and is off by about 50 to 80 feet when METAR is used for calibration.

• Still on FW version 5.40 there is a bug when using Automobile and/or Motorcycle routing option during road navigation. All destinations during this activity are calculated and displayed as "direct to" instead of "via road". The only routing option which keeps road guidance is "Road Cycling".

• Same here, not auto starting and I was looking forward to checking my last flight's log.

• Same here - no autostart when in Fly activity

• , ,  Is this still happening? I seem to get the opposite; that is, I have autostart OFF and see it auto-starting during pressurization.

• It does not now. I have autostart ON and it correctly starts FLY when aircraft starts flying