D2 Echo Release Date?

With the recent announcement of the Fenix 6 line of watches, anyone have a thought/info on when the D2 Echo will be released?

Top Replies

All Replies

• I'm thinking about buying a Garmin GPS Watch. Apart from using it as a health condition tracker and bicycle tracker I also want to use it for tracking glider flights. So I'm looking at the D2 Delta (or Echo :-) ), fenix 6 pro or 6X pro. I'm tempted by the 280x280 resolution of the Fenix 6X pro. I would be very happy to see a D2 next release very soon with that higher screen resolution. I would be very pleased to hear some new information.

• Out of curiosity; what is your flying app going to cover and how does it look? Can you share some previews perhaps? Wink

• Well... any info out there floating around on the D2 Echo from anyone?  I was also thinking Airventure might be the latest they would release the next version.  Seeing as Airventure was intended to be this coming week before it was canceled, thought I would see if anyone had a sliver of info on it at all.  dbrobert, what is your opinion at this point?

• Unfortunately I don't have any insider hints but I would be incredibly surprised if a D2 Echo wasn't "released" this coming week. A new pilot device (D2/MARQ) has basically been released every year and since last year was the MARQ Aviator it seems like the D2 Echo should be next. But at this stage, as I said, I have no confirmation one way or the other (though it's not without trying).

• I hope they release this week. They even released a new version of the Tactix based on the new Fenix.

• I am now confident that the D2 Echo will be released this week (though I'm pretty sure it will not be called that). I'm also pretty sure that it is going to be based on the Venu series, which is both super exciting but also somewhat sad. I say sad for me specifically because I worry about the following:

• that it will likely make the update cycle even slower (I'm not sure the Venu as part of the Vivoactive family has the same traction as the Fenix)
    • that the battery life won't be as good (this is pretty much a given)
    • that it won't be as useful outside of aviation for anyone that runs, hikes, SUPs, etc.

And I'm not much of a touch screen guy, especially given the typical conditions I find myself in (rain, snow, moisture). But I remain positive and hope that Garmin will exceed my expectations. I also hope that perhaps all the various bugs that I have been pestering them about will finally be fixed, though that one I hold out little hope for given that the density altitude calculation has been busted since the D2 Bravo.

• I think the plan was to have released the new device by now but I suspect that got derailed by the hacking incident at the end of July.

• I hope they don't go the Venu route for the exact reasons you stated. On the other hand, if they can keep it more affordable, then it might work.

• s it a certainty that an Echo will be released soon?  or has the Marq line squashed new D2s?

• There will be another device released in the D2 series, though it will be a departure from the current Fenix derivative, which is why I suspect there will be a new name; my guesses are "D2 Pilot" or "D2 Airliner". I think it was planned for a July release but the hacking incident got in the way so my guess now is late August.

The MARQ device is Garmin's high-end line for those who are watch collectors, and as such is not a replacement for the D2 series.