calibrating alitmeter with metar

Hi,

the D2 Plus offers a way to calibrate the altimeter using the METAR of the closest airport. Does this work for somebody?

If I select this option, what should be displayed in the pressure-reading below the altitude in the altimeter-widget?

What is the correct way of calibrating the altimeter?

According my understanding there should be a way to use the local METAR to calibrate the altimeter to the local QNH, but also to adjust (remove prehaps existing offset of measured altitude, so the indicated altitude corresponds to the actual altitude).

In my case the altitude app shows a lower QNH and not the METAR and also altitude is shown 200 feet below real altitude. If I use Settings->Sensory->Altimeter->Calibrate, then I can calibrate the altimeter to show real altitude, but then the displayed pressure ich much to high (higher than QNH....)

Also the altimeter seems to forget the calibration each time the altimeter is left and opened for another time...

Is there a softwarebug on the D2 version 5.2 ?

Regards,

Florian

• From my experience, this feature was working until FW 5.1 or 5.2. For me, the Altimeter consistently shows 50 to 60 feet below the correct altitude when barometric pressure data from METAR is used for calibration. I verified this at an airport as well. Also, the barometric pressure display on the Altimeter Widget consistently shows a value that is different from the METAR. However, the Altimeter is using the METAR pressure for calibration (you can verify this by manually entering METAR pressure during calibration). I tried speaking to a Garmin representative at Oshkosh this year with not much response from him. 

• I used to have same issue in my D2C. I tried several adjustments and nome worked.

One day I pissed off and erased all! Logged of from Garmin Connect, restore factory defaults and started over.

That was successful and now I don't even think "calibrate" it.

• Hm,

this is somethin Garmin shoudl fix as soon as possible. For a pilot watch a working altimeter is crucial I think...

Regards,

Florian

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

Yes i can confirm the altimeter shows much lower reading that the airport elevation.  

I hate it. I came here looking for a fix but looks like many people are having the same problem. Even after i manually correct it and turn off auto calibration it goes back to its bogus reading. 

Its really annoying.