flyGarmin Logbook

Anybody else use the flyGarmin Logbook with a D2 Charlie. I thought it would be useful to help me record flights without having to write down loads of times as I do multiple short flights in one day. It doesn't seem to be able to cope with that though. First time I tried it I flew 3 flights of 45 minutes with 10 minutes on the ground between them with AutoFly set to On and FLY manually started at the start of the sequence and then FLY manually stopped after the 3 flights.. Garmin Connect recorded it all as one long flight with no laps or any other indication that I was on the ground for 10 minutes between flights other than zero altitude and speed. The flyGarmin logbook recognised the first flight and recorded it correctly but ignored the next 2.

Yesterday I tried again. This time AutoFly was off and I manually started the FLY activity each flight and stopped it after each flight. Connect recorded correctly 3 separate flights but the flyGarmin logbook only recorded the first flight, the next 2 didn't sync across.

It appears that the flyGarmin logbook can only cope with one flight per day the way I use it. Does anyone else have any experience with the application?
  • There are a couple of things at play here.

1. There is a setting in the flyGarmin Logbook that will merge flights into a single entry. Go to the settings -- https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/logbook/#/setup -- and uncheck the option to "Merge legs into single entry". Or alternatively, reduce the configured time for the "Max time between legs to merge" option. Personally, I never want to merge my flights, even if I'm doing training that involves a "stop, backtrack and go" since I consider anything other than a touch-and-go to be a separately entry to be logged.

2. I have talked to Garmin Aviation and the missing entries (where they are in Connect but not synced to flyGarmin) is a known issue that they are looking into; so it's not just you and it's nothing you are specifically doing. However, that said, Garmin has known about this issue for at least two months so I would suggest calling or emailing in to voice another vote of dissatisfaction with the issue. As far as I can tell there is nothing on the user side causing this. I have tried various settings on my D2B, Garmin Pilot and the flyGarmin site and the syncing (or lack of) does not seem to be consistent.

Finally, I don't particularly like the Auto Fly option so I have modified my checklists to start/stop the fly app as part of the startup/shutdown lists.

Cheers,
    Douglas
  • Thanks Douglas, I've already let Garmin know so we will see what happens.

I've turned off AutoFly as well as it keeps triggering when I'm commuting and running down the battery. I'm doing another sequence tomorrow so I'll make sure the Logbook settings are as you suggest.

Cheers

Graeme
  • I agree that Auto Fly is garbage...does not work reliably at all. Once or twice "Fly" activities have magically appeared in my Garmin Pilot and requested to be added to the logbook. But I can't figure out how to make it reliable. Sometimes it works but usually it doesn't.

The D2 Charlie is like a Perfect Storm customer support disaster.. It touches at least three different parts of Garmin: the sports watch people who do Garmin Connect, the aviation data and avionics people, the ex-Digital Cyclone guys who wrote Garmin Pilot, and probably a couple of others. They don't seem to talk to each other very well, and god help you if you have an issue that crosses boundaries. And don't get me started about the different apps for data transfer. One on the phone, one on your PC (hope you have one), data via BT, data via WiFi, data via USB. All different and do different things.

• Oh man!! Don’t even get me started on this issue! I know this post thread is old but man!! They still haven’t fixed these issues!!! Like seriously people!!! 

I do my flying and don’t use any auto logbook features on the farming app and rely on my Garmin Charlie Watch to capture all my flight data, which does a pretty damn good job in my opinion.

bit what’s the use of it can’t properly transfer that info into the Garmin Pilot App Logbook?

None of the times get transferred, and there’s other data that doesn’t get transferred either, I have to fill all that in manually! Like this is ridiculous. And the Garmin Pilot Logbook is lacking a lot of features and options compared I some of the other systems out there. I’ve been a programmer for 20 years and a Pilot for 4 years and built some of large enterprise level systems in my lifetime and I’ll tell you! I don’t know who is in charge of the department that the Logbook is programmed, But it’s definitely hasn’t had bugs and issues for over 3 years!!

Common Garmin!! Let’s fix these!! I’ll even come take over this department and make the best logbook system in the industry!