This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin InReach Explorer+ Not Logging Track Points

On my past two hikes I have been using my Garmin Inreach Explorer+ to track the hike, only to get home and realize it has failed to do so for some reason. It is set to log tracking points every 30 seconds, however when I review the track in My Maps on the Garmin website, I can find the track however it has only logged about 5 track points for the entire (several hour) hike. It seems to have tracked once every hour or so.

This is giving ridiculously inaccurate tracks that are useless, as it suddenly jumps several km in a straight line from one part of the trail to the next. It seems to think my 16km hike was in fact 8km, as most the actual "track" was a huge, as the crow flies jump from one point to the next (see attached). 

What's going on? Is there an issue with my Inreach whereby it's unable to locate where I am or something and as such isn't tracking every 30 seconds like it should? I am not turning the Inreach off or anything either, not sure if that would cause issues anyway but it's on and has plenty of battery the whole time. The inReach is also well positioned for receiving signal on my shoulder strap outside of the pack. 

It did track my first few hikes properly, so it has worked before, it's just the last two hikes. I've only had this thing 6 weeks so I hope it's not broken already. 

EDIT: I just looked in more detail and noticed these tracking points that are showing are the "Send Intervals" which I send every hour. The "Log Intervals" that should be every 30 seconds are nowhere to be seen. Usually these trails are full of dots for every log, but there are none. 

• Were you using extended tracking? Logging gets disabled when extended is on... I think. 

Still coming to grips with these settings. i.e. what to use when you want it to show in mapshare, what to sue when you don't, what to use when you want detailed tracks, what to use when you want max battery life, what is the least expensive ( in terms of points sent over sat comms) etc, etc.

• No I never use extended tracking. You're right, it is confusing getting to terms with everything, but I changed nothing and it suddenly stopped tracking log intervals. 

• Same happens for me, Just need to sync with eartmate or your MAC or PC, then all the tracking points will upload, otherwise you'll get just the Inreach sent tracking intervals.

• Until you sync, web will only show points sent by satellite. After sync, it will fill in logged points On a good day, it will appear as a single track.