IR+ shutting down during navigation - unreliable

I'm having a lot of difficulty navigation in the backcountry with IR+. Basically it keeps showing a question mark blinking, then shutting off. I've been unable to follow my own tracking data back to a trail that I only left a few hundred feet back. I could see either a moment of the track or at least the dots of tracking points, then it would shut off after about a second. In another case, I was on a ridge with burned out trees, no canopy. I was attempting to find a spring that was preloaded on the unit. I'd move the screen away from my current location to scan around, and as soon as I'd move about a screen away from my position, it would turn off over and over. Location indicated that my position accuracy was at 11 feet. Wondering if this is how poor the reception is, or if this sounds like a repair is needed. I had the Delorme/Spot combination previously, and never had any issue like this. I have all map layers for my state downloaded, battery life is always fine,  I've reset the unit, synching is fine, messaging is fine, weather reports are fine, but very undependable with navigation even with tracking. Appreciate feedback.