Inreach not send texts or receiving them

Inreach is activated with unlimited plan, and will not send and or receive text messages? Any help? It also shows on the maps as a blue triangle and not a bubble with a dot? Please help

Top Replies

All Replies

• Same problem.  I tried to send multiple text messages over the weekend, but none were received.  They did send through email, so I know they were transmitted correctly.  However, none of  the 5 text numbers I tried (including my own) received the messages.

• I just bought an inReach mini this week so I'm testing it out before a trip in a few weeks.  Yesterday I did a track and was able to send messages to my email address.  Today I did another track and at the end tried to send a message to my cell phone via SMS.  About an hour later, the mini says that everything's synced and that the message was sent.  But I haven't received it on my cell phone.  I don't know how long messages normally would take to get sent, but at the moment it sounds like I'm in the same boat where text messages aren't getting sent (at least not as I'd expect them to be, which would be as soon as the mini sends the message).  

• The inReach General Forum has more people experiencing these problems... forums.garmin.com/.../inreach-general

• &

We are currently experiencing an issue with SMS messages not being delivered to ATT phone numbers and working with ATT to resolve. I have sent each of you a PM to confirm details about your account so I can add you to the Support Ticket we have open for this.

You can also subscribe to get inReach System Status updates via email on this issue and any future issues at status.inreach.garmin.com/
  • I was unable to send any messages from Friday 9/11/20-Sunday 9/13/20. I was able to receive several messages. All of my messages showed that they were sent on both my inReach and my Earthmate app.

• Hey Andrew,

I'm having the same issue as well. I can PM you details if you'd like.

• Please reply to the PM I sent you and I'll add you. Thanks!

• Experiencing the same issue today, but using TMobile. I can send directly off my SE with no issues, but anything sent from my phone does not go through - even though it shows like it did. All messages show on both phone and SE but contacts only receive messages I sent from SE. please PM if needed.

• First, you will have to PM the Garmin staff member. They do not consistently watch the forums. This is not an official support channel. At this point, I believe that is the proper contact for the iR forums.

To the immediate question: I am unclear on HOW you are "sending" text messages "from your phone." Sending an SMS via the "text message app" on your phone uses your local cell network, NOT the inReach device. In order to compose messages on the phone and send them via the iR device, you must pair the device with phone (via BT) AND use the appropriate mobile app to compose and send the message. Legacy devices like the SE+/Explorer+ use the Earthmate app.

The fact that the message shows on the SE indicates that you are probably using the appropriate app. The problem almost certainly has to do with how you enter the address (SMS number) of the recipient. If you are using contacts ON the iR device, then the issue is failure to sync after the most recent changes. If you are using contacts from the "phone book" on your phone (almost always a bad idea), the number may be missing the country code (the +1 at the front of the number). Same thing is true if you are typing the number - the country code must be included.

For future reference only: The "sent" status of the message on the iR device only indicates that the message made it as far as the Iridium satellite network. Says nothing about end to end delivery. You should check the Inbox tab on your account at explore.garmin.com to see if the message appears there. That  would indicate that it made it all the way to the Garmin server, and that the problem is downstream from there (the SMS gateway that Garmin uses to access the cell network, or the recipient's cell provider). HOWEVER, messages with bad addresses (especially but not exclusively due to failure to do a timely sync) will not always appear on the inbox.

If none of that helps, you will likely have to open a support ticket. Although may be able to provide a link to a helpful support article.

• Hello my first recommendation would be to sync your device Updating inReach Firmware and Syncing Account Changes with inReach Sync. After that since it sounds like an issue with Earthmate I would uninstall the app from your phone. Forget all the connections on your phone and the device. Then reinstall Earthmate and pair it again making sure to sync through Earthmate to your account. Syncing inReach Account Changes with the Earthmate App for Android  /// Syncing inReach Account Changes with the Earthmate App for iOS. If you then test it and continue to have issues please contact Product Support directly for assistance with your device.