Cannot believe I need an internet connection to get data on and off an inReach Explorer+

I have just purchased an inReach Explorer+ and am shocked to learn that I need to go online to move way points/routes on and off the device!

I do fieldwork in northern Kenya where there is rarely an internet signal. Seems odd that a GPS designed to be used in remote locations (i.e., expeditions) requires an internet connection to communicate with a laptop. I never considered I would have to ask this in advance for a unit of this price. 

My mistake, but I am hoping someone has a work around. 

Thank you, Matt

• The typical workflow is to define waypoints and routes on the explore.garmin.com web site, then sync with the Explorer+. You can sync either via a wired connection/desktop sync program or via the Earthmate app. Both require a data connection to set up the data in the first place and to sync.

It is possible to mark waypoints directly in the Earthmate app (Map page). You might try doing this while offline, then attempting to sync with the device alone via BT. I don't know whether or not this works as the Earthmate app also likes to sync with the web site (which requires a data connection). But may be worth a try. Unfortunately, you can't do anything similar with routes, which cannot be defined directly in the Earthmate app.

I don't have an active Explorer+ device, so I can't try it.

The SE+/Explorer+ devices are really legacy devices at this point. Probably what you want for your use case is the GPSMAP 66i. That is an inReach device which is a full member of the Garmin ecosystem. It uses standard Garmin maps. It mounts as a removable USB "drive". You can move waypoints and routes/tracks on and off the device via your laptop and .gpx files.

• Thanks twolpert! That is very helpful. I will try and exchange for the model you suggest. 

• Do note that the 66i has a considerably shorter battery life than the Explorer+. Like the Explorer+, it has a non-removable rechargeable battery. Be sure you consider battery life when making your decision.