Initiating an SOS

What happens if for some reason I cannot interact with emergency services other than pushing the SOS button? Is interaction by messaging (after SOS button is pushed) required to initiate a rescue effort?

Thanks

• I think it is not required (but may be helpful for the rescue).

The manual says:

"Reply to the confirmation message from the emergency response service.

Your reply lets the emergency response service know that you are capable of interacting with them during the rescue."

• Thank you for that. Honestly, the reason I want to know is that I belong to a Facebook community of RV owners. A few days ago, a couple with a travel trailer disappeared from the border of Texas and Mexico, a search is on but no clue as to their location. A man was seen driving their trailer away, or something to that effect. Two bodies were found, but no report on if it's the couple. Sounds like foul play for sure. 

cA onversation started on one of the groups about how to send a location beacon if you are under that kind of threat. The chat moved on to hiking and other outdoor activities, how to not die in general, but also what to do if you can only push the SOS button and then hide the device. People were saying stupid things like "leave on Find My Phone".  Ugh. So any further help anyone can offer, I suggested a locator and folks asked me to report back on getting help and staying stealthy. 

Thanks!

• No interaction is required. The GEOS response center will receive the SOS which will (if the device has a GPS fix) Include your location. GEOS will try to contact you via inReach. If you don't respond, they will take the conservative approach and dispatch SAR (or whomever is appropriate for the location).

However, "hiding the device" is a bad idea. Iridium satellite communication requires a clear view of the sky. If you push the button then immediately bury the device in your pack or stick it under the car seat, chances are that the SOS will not go out.

If you are concerned with a possible situation where you cannot even send the SOS, the absolute best thing you can do is to send track points periodically. Even without an SOS, both the folks at home and, if necessary, emergency services can get your last known location without any intervention on your part. Clearly, this is not going to result in the kind of immediate response you would get with an SOS. But your approximate location will be known.

• Thank you so very much! Nice clear explanation, very helpful. 

• If GEOS fails to contact you after receivng an SOS, they will do the conservative thing. They will dispatch emergency services.

• Thank you. I didn’t think of the periodic pings.