Considering buying an inReach. Need some details

I am investigating an inReach and am curious how it functions compared to the GPSMap 64. Can the user load custom KMZ maps? Can multiple GPX tracks be loaded and made visible on the screen at once?

Does anyone know of a feature comparison chart? It seems Garmin website design has made it more dificult to compare features among it's devices.

The alternative investigate a GPSMap 66, as I assume it works much like its predecessors. I rarely need satellite connectivity but if one device can cover both my regular gps navigation uses and two way connectivity, then it may be worth buying the inReach.
  • Current inReach devices still use maps in the original DeLorme format. They are not compatible with the rest of the Garmin ecosystem. There is no provision for custom maps. A variety of standard topo and street maps are available in the DeLorme format.

It's been a while since I've had an active Explorer+. To the best of my recollection, you can only view the current/most recent track on the map. Perhaps somebody with more recent experience will chime in.

If you do end up with two devices, you may want to consider the inReach Mini rather than one of the larger, heavier devices for your messaging needs. The Mini has minimal navigation features (no map at all), but does have full satellite messaging capability. It can also be paired with a phone for mapping purposes, although that's fairly pointless if you're carrying a handheld mapping GPSr as well.
  • Thanks. That is pretty much what I had assumed from the description.

Only viewing the current "route" is acceptable, if not optimal, on the small screen of my Fenix 5 watch. But is not a restriction I want to be stuck with on a larger screen on a device that I would use when not intending to follow a prespecified route. Also custom maps (I make them in QGIS) are a necessity for me in leading hikes where I want information that is not included in standard maps.

If anyone has found a way to address uses similar to my concerns on an inReach, please pipe up. I'd really like to only have one device to carry and not have to consult my phone on a hike.
  • Sorry, I read the original post too quickly with regard to "loading tracks". You can have more than one route loaded on the device. And you can switch among them. From what I recall, though, you did draw the correct conclusion. You can only see or follow your currently selected route.

Also note that routes can only be constructed from tracks on the web site, then downloaded (synchronized) to the device. There are limits on the number of points in a route. A track with too many points will be "thinned" when it is turned into a route. Depending on the topology, the resulting route can be substantially different than the original track. As an example, a series of switchbacks might turn into a line straight up (or down) the hill. Several users have complained about this issue.

My original comment was with regard to tracks recorded on the device. Unlike some GPSrs, the inReach devices have no track management (other than clearing the track log). The only track you can see is the current track. This is useful for visual backtracking, but that's about it.
  • Tom,

An update to clarify seeing tracks and routes on the Explorer+. All tracks are always available for viewing on the map, however they can be filtered by time period: from the map select the "option" button (3 lines), then filter. Select from All Time, Current Track, Last 24 hours, Last 7 days, and Last 30 days. Unfortunately, you are correct that tracks on the device cannot be deleted selectively, it's all or none. I have submitted an enhancement request to Garmin to allow selective deletion of tracks. In the meantime, for me the filters are a good way to control crowding of tracks in any particular area of the map.

As for routes, I can also see any number of them on my device at any time. By "follow" do you mean navigate? AFAIK the navigate feature operates on only one track, route, or waypoint at a time.

~Bob