wrong location shown on contact map link

Sent several SMS messages to my wife. She received them, but the location shown on the map link was WAY off. We live in Montana, which was where I sent the messages, but the map showed my location in northern Connecticut! Anyone else have this problem? (Those were older messages latest one was correct. Still, that is a little disconcerting.)
  • Where do they appear on the map at inreach.garmin.com? And was your wife using the mobile web site to view the link? The reason I ask is that I have seen a location which is temporarily incorrect in the mobile browser after I pan/zoom the map. A refresh, or closing the page and reopening from the link in the SMS message, fixes this.

The other thing to check is the coordinates of the message, either in the SMS/on the resulting map page or at inreach.garmin.com or on the device itself. It happens more often with a Mini than an SE/Explorer, but it IS possible to send a message without having a fix. I know on the Mini, you get a warning and must proactively choose to send anyway. Not sure about the SE/Explorer. I've never actually allowed it to send one that way, so I have no idea what it uses for coordinates if there is no active fix. Point is that the message might have been sent with bad/no coordinates.