Tracks not shown on Mapshare maps

The tracks from my Explorer SE+ are not showing on the shared map either on the desktop or mobile devices. However, if i log into my inReach account and check under the'Map' tab all tracks are showing up correctly.

The 'Mapshare' option under the 'Social' tab is set to 'On' and the Mapshare consent box has been ticked. 'Visibility' is set to 'Public' and the time filter is set to 'All Times.'

The tracking function appears to be working correctly, it's just not displaying the tracking points through Mapshare.

How do i fix this?
  • I too have had problems with MapShare. I enabled mine for an extended trip back in August. Recently I had ONE track that would not show on MapShare but was on my own Map.
    This caused quite a bit of concern as I had left camp for a 100+ mile excursion and my wife could see ZERO tracking on MapShare and became quite concerned.

Contacted support- which was less than helpful- just a canned link to Collections pages.

Finally determined the ONE track for ONE day was NOT in the collections- they basically claimed it was my fault for NOT putting it in the collections. The thing is I never put ANY tracks from the last 3 years in collections. They just showed up on my MapShare page the only thing I had to do was give it a start date
    They apparently have no idea why the ONE day never showed up. They then told me I have to put tracks in the collection-
    My question then was how am I supposed to put a track in a collection when I am in the field with NO data connection to do so?
    In fact the entire reason I bought an InReach was because cellular is lacking in MANY areas- ie no comms and no data.
    I have to say while the customer experience with DeLorme was never great, the experience with Garmin is absolutely dismal.
  • Collections continue to change under our feet. Right this minute, if you have no other collections defined, all your tracks (etc.) end up in the Library collection, which is supposed to be equivalent to the legacy "it's all in one bucket" situation. The default MapShare filters are consistent with that - the Library collection is visible on MapShare by default.

There is, however, a piece that does not work - at least on my account. You should be able to set the Active Collection (the one to which activity on this device is recorded) on the Plans and Devices tab. When I try to save Library as the active collection, it does not stick. When I go back later, the active collection is blank again. That said, my activity IS going into the Library collection.

IIRC, these various behaviors have changed as the whole collection concept evolves. Best guess would be that your one-day track was lost in one of the periodic changes. But I'm just guessing.
  • I have similar issue as JSTERM. My tracks no longer display on the inreach MAP tab but do display on MapShare. It's only the tracks that are missing. My routes and waypoints display. I have cleared all of the map filters, I have set date range way back, and ensured the "visibility" toggle is correct. I feel like a Beta tester without a SCRUM Master.
  • Just checked this again with today's track. Showing up both on my account Map tab and on MapShare. Again, though, I only have the one collection. If it persists, I'd call support.
  • I had the same issue with my new Garmin inReach SE+ and was getting frustrated.:mad:

The dropbox file above isn't available anymore, but thanks to the hint by RawwrBag, I figured it out.

Here's the steps I took:
    1. go to your account under inreach.garmin.com and click on the MAP tab.
    2. under LIBRARY in the left panel, click on one of the right arrows beside Waypoints, Routes, or Tracks to expand the LIBRARY section.
    3. there are 3 icons to the right of the LIBRARY section title - a capital "M", a sync icon, and an eyeball icon to toggle map visibility for collection. This is the confusing part. The "M" icon is to toggle MAPSHARE visibility of collections on share.garmin.com, and the eyeball is used to toggle visibility on the map only within inreach.garmin.com.
    4. click on the "M" icon and it will warn you that you're making things public. accept that and then click on the "M" icon again. It will allow you to choose which collections (if any) including the root "Library". Put a checkmark next to Library, and then click save. Now if you go over to your share.garmin.com site, you should be able to see any tracks in your library. (may need to refresh the page)

:cool:

Thanks this works for me as well, I have had 3 trips missed by people because they could not see me on the map, emailed Garmin support and haven't had any response yet, they need to lift their game when it comes to customer support this is a well paid service
  • P_Kind could you possibly make your PDF guide available again? Many thanks!

-- Pete
  • Thank you for this - after 2 long calls, and  few disconnections with no luck - the steps you noted are what have my InReach Mini tracks showing up on the map.

• Since this appears to be Garmin’s site, you’d think one of their bozos would actually read this studf and give a definitive answer!

• I found that mebeggs's excellent description of the steps weren't the problem for me, because my settings already matched that.

Here's what worked for me.

1. Click through the different tracks (none showing on map) until I found one where the map showed a little triangle/location symbol and a little plus symbol. For me this was on my 2 most recent tracks, but not the older ones.

2. Click the plus symbol on the map.

This made all my tracks show up, even if they didn't have a triangle and plus icon originally.

• Thank you! The M click and Library click fixed my problem!