Tracks not shown on Mapshare maps

The tracks from my Explorer SE+ are not showing on the shared map either on the desktop or mobile devices. However, if i log into my inReach account and check under the'Map' tab all tracks are showing up correctly.

The 'Mapshare' option under the 'Social' tab is set to 'On' and the Mapshare consent box has been ticked. 'Visibility' is set to 'Public' and the time filter is set to 'All Times.'

The tracking function appears to be working correctly, it's just not displaying the tracking points through Mapshare.

How do i fix this?
  • Call Garmin support. There have apparently been problems recently with account setup and MapShare. Here, for example. Although the symptoms are not identical, they all relate to data not showing on MapShare even when MapShare is correctly configured as far as you cant tell. You've already checked everything I can think of. Support is the next step.
  • Thanks for the link. It does there might be few issues with Mapshare.

I've logged a ticket with Garmin Support. We'll see what they come back with.
  • The tracks from my Explorer SE+ are not showing on the shared map either on the desktop or mobile devices. However, if i log into my inReach account and check under the'Map' tab all tracks are showing up correctly.

The 'Mapshare' option under the 'Social' tab is set to 'On' and the Mapshare consent box has been ticked. 'Visibility' is set to 'Public' and the time filter is set to 'All Times.'

The tracking function appears to be working correctly, it's just not displaying the tracking points through Mapshare.

How do i fix this?

I'm having the same problem with my Explorer SE+. Did you ever get the issue resolved?
  • Same thing happening for me (inReach Mini). So far the user experience has been lacking. Let's see - so far I've spent $350 on the device and $63.57 on services. What should my expectations be for that amount of money? How much should I expect to pay if I wanted their software to just work? I'll give it a few days. There's probably someone working on it, right? Software is hard. Google software is generally pretty good, but they have billions of dollars of ad revenue to pay all their developers. Garmin has our measly subscription fees.
  • I'm having the same problem with my Explorer SE+. Did you ever get the issue resolved?

Yes. I finally figured it out. It came down to a problem with the way in which i had the Library/collections enabled. Everything is now showing up on MapShare OK and seems to be working fine.

It's a shame the Garmin Support folks don't seem to have much understanding of how their software works. It would also help if the documentation was slightly more comprehensive and didn't have critical steps missing.
  • Can you please elaborate on what you changed in library/collections settings? I have the same issue and can't figure out what to do.
  • Can you please elaborate on what you changed in library/collections settings? I have the same issue and can't figure out what to do.

I thought i might be able to save some other people a little of the frustration by putting together a short 'setup guide'.( As this forum doesn't allow .pdf uploads i've provided a Dropbox link at the end of this post below.)

It's a bit of a hack and mash-up of some Garmin guides and support documents as well as my own additions and clarifications to provide a guide in one simple document.

Hopefully you find it useful in figuring out why MapShare isn't working for you.

Cheers

Document link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1mrxpnfvfl3d4ir/inReach%20MapShare%20instr.pdf?dl=0
  • Oh my gosh, that is so incredibly helpful. Why couldn't they be bothered to document this themselves? Toggling the whole library on did the trick for me, as I have no collections. I would have never have found that magic "M" icon on my own. Thank you!
  • I had the same issue with my new Garmin inReach SE+ and was getting frustrated.:mad:

The dropbox file above isn't available anymore, but thanks to the hint by RawwrBag, I figured it out.

Here's the steps I took:
    1. go to your account under inreach.garmin.com and click on the MAP tab.
    2. under LIBRARY in the left panel, click on one of the right arrows beside Waypoints, Routes, or Tracks to expand the LIBRARY section.
    3. there are 3 icons to the right of the LIBRARY section title - a capital "M", a sync icon, and an eyeball icon to toggle map visibility for collection. This is the confusing part. The "M" icon is to toggle MAPSHARE visibility of collections on share.garmin.com, and the eyeball is used to toggle visibility on the map only within inreach.garmin.com.
    4. click on the "M" icon and it will warn you that you're making things public. accept that and then click on the "M" icon again. It will allow you to choose which collections (if any) including the root "Library". Put a checkmark next to Library, and then click save. Now if you go over to your share.garmin.com site, you should be able to see any tracks in your library. (may need to refresh the page)

:cool:
  • My tracks are suddenly not displaying on the map. What happened? Looks like Garmin even changed the whole left-panel UI experience. What's this "legacy," "legacy and sync" and "library" collection thing they suddenly threw at us?

I had long ago built a workflow for displaying then downloading GPX track for use elsewhere, and was perfectly happy with it, but now that is completely messed up.

Why would they make this change----it's costing me hours and hours to rework this, and so far, I can't get anything to display. All settings are as normal as far as I can tell. I have selected track points only as the message type. If I click the little eye only a single point shows up on the map -- none of the track points -- and that point (arrow actually) isn't even related to the track I selected.

All I really want to do is pull my individual tracks into a GPX download. Why do I have to go through the map at all?? Isn't there some way to select a track date and download GPX without having to go through the map? In any case, it stopped working and as far as I know I have not changed anything. Since I can't display a track, there's no data in the download GPX.

Sooooo frustrating. I give this user experience a -10 on a scale of 1 to 10.