Explorer: How to set gps logging to Earthmate withOUT sending to Mapshare?

I'm on the safety plan, so I will send trackpoints via Iridium very infrequently, I simply want to plot the breadcrumbs of my location (I won't call them "Trackpoints") to Earthmate app... for that matter, how do I even get breadcrumbs to show on the Explorer(not +) Map screen? I can see the triangle for my present location, but no breadcrumbs, no location history.

There is no setting for Send interval as "off", several youtube instructions to the contrary.

HW version 2.2, FW version 2.15

Thanks!
  • I will make a guess. First thing is you say your HW is 2.2 and FW is 2.15. There have been several new upgrades - HW 3.0, FW 3.0. I suggest you try doing the updating first.

Second thing is that there are 2 position points - send points and track points. What do you have set for each? I usually set send points to 10 min and track to 1 min. You might go "send" points and try different values, and similarly for "track points". Walk around the block a few times to give time to get some points sent.

Also, do you do a synch when you complete your day's hike? This will transfer the points to your account, which should show up on your map.

Something else to keep in mind - Your Explorer will transfer the track and log points via local wifi and/or cell phone if you have Earthmate turned on. If you are close to your home and have wifi in your house, the synch will go first to a wifi. If no wifi is available, you will get the question "use cell phone". I usually click "yes" or wait til I get home.

• I have the same goal: minimize tracking points sent via Iridium from my inReach Explorer.

With the latest FW, 2.16(125024):
    1. Settings - Tracking: I have Log Interval of - 30 sec; Send Interval - Off.
    2. Tracking Screen: Start; then I walk .......
    3. Tracking Screen: Stop (twice); when no longer want to record walk.
    4. Back home and connected with USB cable to PC with inreach.garmin.com account active, logged points will be exported to Map page of account without using Iridium.
    5. Tracking Screen: Clear; when I no longer want to retain logged points on inReach Explorer.
  • Thank-you for this info. I have an inReach SE+ with a contract Safety Plan and most of the time, I only want to log points/breadcrumbs and view the 'Trip Info' live.

I've been wanting to do what CowboySlim suggests above, but I have been concerned that if I enable a 'Send Interval' at a later stage, without first remembering to select 'Clear' on the Tracking screen (point 5 above), then it will also upload all those previously logged points/breadcrumbs over the Iridium network, and I will be charged for each point.

Could this occur?

• No. Logged points and sent points are entirely different things. Sent points go via the Iridium network in more or less real time. Unless sending is enabled, nothing is sent via the Iridium network. Even when sending is enabled, sent points are not retained on the unit past the time when they are sent.

Logged points are never sent via the Iridium network. They are only uploaded to the web site when you sync the device. They are retained on the device until you clear the log (or until the log fills and "wraps around", overwriting the oldest points first).