Tracking Points - Frequency of update for data points ??

I just purchased my Explorer+ last weekend and have a question regarding what information is uploaded when the device sends data. I realize it sends every 10 minutes on my device, but the logging interval is set at 1 min.

My question comes in that, I notice sometimes, the MapShare page shows the 10 minute interval tracking dots as large dots with the 1 minute logging dots as smaller in between. Sometimes though, I notice only the 10 minute dot shows with no 1 minute tracking points between. Sometimes they seem to show up later for some reason and I just can't seem to figure out why.

I've searched and can't seem to find out how to enable the map to always show these 1 minute interval points. I had the unit with a clear view of the sky for hours of travels today and half of the trip had the extra 1 minute log points (showed up all of a sudden during the trip) an the later portions of the trip just show the 10 minute interval points.

Anyone know what I'm missing ??

Thanks -
  • The unit has two tracking intervals - one for "sent" points and one for "logged" points. "Sent" points are transmitted via the satellite network as soon as possible after they are recorded. Once transmitted, they should appear on the web site after a short delay. "Logged" points are never transmitted over the satellite network. They only appear on the web site after a sync operation. There are two different ways to sync.

A wired sync involves connecting the device to your PC via the USB cable and syncing from the Sync tab on the inreach.garmin.com web site. A wired sync uploads all the logged points which are not already present on the web site.

A cell phone sync involves the use of the Earthmate app on your phone, which must be paired via Bluetooth with the inReach device. In addition to being paired, the app must be logged into your inreach.garmin.com account. You can log in initially via More > Options > Account & Sync. That's on an iPhone. If you're on an Android, the path to the appropriate screen may be different. Also note that, at least on iPhone, the app seems to sometimes "forget" my credentials. Never hurts to check to be sure you are logged in when you open the app. Once paired and logged in, the app will transmit the logged points over the cell network as long as you have cell data reception - and as long as you allow the app to use both location services and cellular data. You can also force the app to transmit whatever it has via the Sync "button" on the Account & Sync page.

I am unsure as to exactly when the app transmits the logged points. From what I can tell, the device seems to accumulate a number of logged points before it sends them to the app. The app can only transmit what it has. The one thing I've noticed fairly consistently is that, if I stop moving, the last few logged points don't get sent via the cell network until after I start moving again.
  • That makes sense twolpert. Thanks for the info and I'll check that out but I'm sure it's correct. Thanks again !

1. I suppose it may be best to sync with Earthmate as soon as possible to have a backup of data?
  • Until you sync (wired or OTA with Earthmate for this device and the Mini), the only record of the logged track points is on the device. If you are also sending track points via Iridium, the sent points are available on the web site in more or less real time.