Two tracks recorded on trip

I used my new Garmin Mini for a backpacking trip this past weekend.  It worked great but for some reason it recorded and sent two tracks on two of our three days hiked.  On both days, the duplicate tracks started recording and sending exactly 10 minutes after the actual time I started tracking at the beginning of the hike.   So i had two days in which two tracks were recorded and the duplicate tracks lacked the first 10 minutes of the hike.  Strange!   (I have my send interval at 10 min and my log interval at 5 min but i don't think this is a factor).  

Can anyone explain why I have two tracks recorded for those days?  

Thank you.

• If you have both sending and logging enabled, you will always get two tracks - eventually. I believe that the web site tries to combine them, but does not always succeed.

The "sent points" form one track. This one appears on the web site in (more or less) real time, as the individual track points are transmitted. You should get a point when you start tracking, and (if you are sending at 10-minute intervals) the next 10 minutes later.

The "logged points" form a second track. This one does not appear on the web site until you sync the device. Logged points are not sent via the Iridium network. They are stored on the device until you sync.

As to the missing portion of the track - I suspect that you started moving before the Mini had acquired a fix. No track points are sent are logged without a fix. The Mini is somewhat touchy about initial acquisition. I've gotten to the point where I never move until I've verified that the unit has a fix.

• Thank you for your reply, twolpert!   This is helpful.  I am brand new to all of this and it has gone pretty well but a few things still confuse me.  I see that you are very active on the forum and I really appreciate that!

A few follow up questions.

1.  I may be missing it in your answer but why does one duplicate track have the starting point on the map and the other does not?  If one track has the correct starting point, then the Mini must have acquired a fix at the start, right?

2.  To confirm that mini has acquired fix, I assume that I just wait until the "wait for GPS" disappears and it shows my location on the screen?

3. As you mentioned (I paraphrase): The logged points only show up on the web site when the device is synced.  By syncing, do you mean via inReach Sync app on my Mac?   Or does it also sync with the Earthmate app?  I ask this because may wife was seeing two tracks on the MapShare link before I synced to my computer via inReach sync app.  

4.  Are you saying that sometimes the web site will successfully combine the two tracks?  If so, I assume that, when it is successful, it just shows up as a single track on the map?

5.  If I get two separate tracks for a day, how can I differentiate which tracks on the map were logged and which were sent?

6. Last question: earlier this morning, I learned how to get my tracks to show up on the explore garmin map web page by clicking the + sign next to my name on the map.   Now, the tracks are not showing up again.  Map filters are turned off and I don't have any "viewing eyeballs" crossed off.  Do you know why I can't get my tracks to show up on my map now?  Strangely, the tracks still show up on my MapShare map.

• Another question:  do "logged" points ever show up in MapShare after device has been synced or is it only "sent" points that ever show up in MapShare?

• 1) I would write this off to the web site's attempt to combine them. But I don't really know. I originally missed the fact that only one of the two tracks was missing the starting point.

2) Yes, that's the easiest way to confirm a fix.

3) Syncs either via the desktop sync application or via Earthmate app (if you have cell coverage).

4) Yes, you should only see one track. That one will reflect the (typically) more detailed "logged" track. The more granular points on the "sent:" track will appear along the more detailed track. In my experience, the process of combining them seems hit and miss. Works most of the time, but I've never been able to figure out what's unique about the situations where it does not work.

5) The only way that I know of is based on noticing the difference in the granularity of the track points between the two. You won't see much difference with 10 minute sent/5 minute logged. If you bump up the logging frequency to once a minute or once every 30 seconds, you'll see a much "smoother" logged track.

6) Try clearing your browser cache and/or a forced reload of the web page. If you have a second browser installed, you can also try using it instead (to eliminate the possibility of stale cached data in your primary browser). Other than that, I don't know.

I don't actually remember the answer to your question about MapShare vs. your account. I THINK that the sync-d logged track should show up in MapShare as well, but I don't know that for sure. It really shouldn't matter since the two tracks should coincide on the map. The only difference would get the "smoothness" of the logged track.