Two tracks recorded on trip

I used my new Garmin Mini for a backpacking trip this past weekend.  It worked great but for some reason it recorded and sent two tracks on two of our three days hiked.  On both days, the duplicate tracks started recording and sending exactly 10 minutes after the actual time I started tracking at the beginning of the hike.   So i had two days in which two tracks were recorded and the duplicate tracks lacked the first 10 minutes of the hike.  Strange!   (I have my send interval at 10 min and my log interval at 5 min but i don't think this is a factor).  

Can anyone explain why I have two tracks recorded for those days?  

Thank you.

Parents
  • If you have both sending and logging enabled, you will always get two tracks - eventually. I believe that the web site tries to combine them, but does not always succeed.

The "sent points" form one track. This one appears on the web site in (more or less) real time, as the individual track points are transmitted. You should get a point when you start tracking, and (if you are sending at 10-minute intervals) the next 10 minutes later.

The "logged points" form a second track. This one does not appear on the web site until you sync the device. Logged points are not sent via the Iridium network. They are stored on the device until you sync.

As to the missing portion of the track - I suspect that you started moving before the Mini had acquired a fix. No track points are sent are logged without a fix. The Mini is somewhat touchy about initial acquisition. I've gotten to the point where I never move until I've verified that the unit has a fix.

• If you have both sending and logging enabled, you will always get two tracks - eventually. I believe that the web site tries to combine them, but does not always succeed.

The "sent points" form one track. This one appears on the web site in (more or less) real time, as the individual track points are transmitted. You should get a point when you start tracking, and (if you are sending at 10-minute intervals) the next 10 minutes later.

The "logged points" form a second track. This one does not appear on the web site until you sync the device. Logged points are not sent via the Iridium network. They are stored on the device until you sync.

As to the missing portion of the track - I suspect that you started moving before the Mini had acquired a fix. No track points are sent are logged without a fix. The Mini is somewhat touchy about initial acquisition. I've gotten to the point where I never move until I've verified that the unit has a fix.

Children