This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Unpowered battery life question

Hi Everyone, got a question about inReach Mini battery life.  I've read previously posted threads about battery life, and don't believe this question is a dupe.

My Mini was purchased brand new just before Thanksgiving.  I last used it in the field on Thanksgiving weekend.  It was recharged completely after that trip before being put away.  Tried powering it up about a week ago and, to my surprise, it was completely dead (as in, it wouldn't power up at all without a charge).  I found the complete discharge while *unpowered* to be odd, so decided to do some testing.

Settings: Send interval (Off), Log interval (Off), Auto track (Off), Extended tracking (Off), Brightness (50%), Backlight timeout (30 sec), Bluetooth (On), ANT+ (Off).

Test method: Charge completely, turn Mini on a 2-3 times a day for just about 10 seconds (just to glance at and record battery percentage value), turn unit completely off.  Unit kept at room temperature at all times.

After being completely unpowered for just 9 hours after full charge, battery percentage was down to 93%.  32 hours after full charge, battery percentage down to 80%.  56 hours after full charge, battery percentage down to 66%.  80 hours after full charge, battery percentage down to 56%.

Again, this is with the unit powered on for just about 10 seconds to record battery percentage then immediately turned back off.

The rate of discharge while unpowered is concerning, and appears to fall extremely short of Garmin's "1 year" unpowered battery life spec.  Lithium-ion batteries don't normally have this high of internal resistance.  This unpowered discharge rate doesn't inspire much confidence for field use, especially in an emergency situation when I'd want as much lifetime in reserve as possible.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?  Otherwise I'm thinking I have a defective unit that needs to be replaced.

Thanks!

• Your drain while powered down seems excessive. I've never done systematic testing, but I've never had an issue after several months powered down. A call to tech support is probably in order.

• Thank you for reporting the results of your test. Is your inReach Mini on firmware version 2.70? If it is not, please use Garmin Express to update the firmware (Updating the Firmware and Syncing Account Information to an inReach Mini), then monitor the battery drain again. If it is still draining excessively while powered off, contact Product Support so we can work with you directly.

• Yes, it was running version 2.70.  I updated it to 2.70 after my Thanksgiving trip -- didn't notice any rapid discharge behavior while using it for messaging during the trip.  Hopefully the discharge rate isn't somehow firmware related?

Early this week I went ahead and exchanged the unit where I originally purchased it, figuring it was indeed defective.  Nearly three days after fully charging the new unit, it is only down to 97%.  Significant difference. (New one is still version 2.60, out of the box.)

• Unfortunately, I had the same issue. About three weeks ago, I've fully charged inReach Mini, turned it off and left in the drawer (I prefer to have all my gadgets stored 100% charged just in case I need them urgently). On Tuesday, I went for a long run only to find out it is completely discharged. After run, I've completely charged this back again and turned it off. Right now (barely two days later), I turned it on to see it has only 97%.

HW version 4.0

Firmware 2.70

• If the firmware on your inReach Mini is up to date and you're still seeing increased battery discharge while powered off, please contact Product Support so we can assist you directly.  

• I have device that was legally purchased in US (@ garmin.com website), although I' now in Russia. Being in that situation sucks - garmin has zero support in Russia for devices that were purchased outside of Russia (despite what oficiaially being claimed online). Being a long time customer of Garmin (multiple biking/hiking/... devices in by shelves) I can confirm excellent support in USA, although based on my experience Garmin would not support in Russia any device that were purchased outside of Russia. That means, contacting Product Support and replacing my device in Russia would be another hassle. Hate Garmin for that.

• Could Garmin conduct any side-by-side testing of v2.60 units and v2.70 units to determine whether the battery drain is related at all to firmware?

I didn't notice this problem during my Thanksgiving trip when I was using it somewhat heavily in the field for messaging (then v2.60).  May be purely coincidental, but it was only after I upgraded it to v2.70 -- after my trip -- that the battery drain issue became really apparent.

• I have a second hand Mini. I too see a discharge while it is switched off. About 10% overnight. I usually find it dead flat when I get it out to charge for a trip. I carry a small power bank. That will charge it 3 times from flat. I don't want to go and buy a battery if it is a software issue.
    It must have some power drain so it can pick up the on button being pressed.
    I see a bunch of batteries for sale on aliexpress. But they are listed as used. Maybe the seller got hold of a bunch of returned batteries. So I will steer clear of them.
    Would appreciate some feedback from Garmin on whether this issue is a failed battery or sw.
    Thanks.

• The inReach Mini has a firmware update coming in late February that addresses this battery drain issue.
    Regarding replacing the battery, InReach devices, including the inReach Mini, use built-in lithium-ion batteries that are not user-replaceable. It is never advised to attempt replacing the battery yourself as it will void any warranty and potentially render the device inoperable. For more info, see: Removing or Replacing the Battery in an inReach Handheld
  • reading all of the various forum feedback it looks like my issue is with the battery itself as it goes flat while switched off. My device is second hand and out of warranty. 
    I contacted Garmin Austria/New Zealand support and asked about purchasing a replacement battery. They offered to swap it out with a refurbished unit for a reasonable price. (Less than it would have cost me to buy the questionable replacement batteries on ebay and Aliexpress.) 
    So I am pretty happy with that. Good support.