Garmin InReach Mini... buy now or wait?

This would be my first emergency beacon - I have a few friends with the various Garmin versions but the InReach definitely appeals to me. It's also their first iteration of this brand new model, and I wonder if it's worth waiting for a 2nd generation? It looks like their other models don't really get updated frequently and I don't know if that would be the same with a brand new inreach mini model?

In my limited research, specific to the Mini model it seems it could do with improved battery life and, what I would have loved to see, a USB-C port.

Anyone have any thoughts on buying the mini now vs a refresh? There is the subscriptions and all, but the device itself isn't exactly cheap...

Top Replies

All Replies

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

I'm in the same boat. I've wanted to buy one for a while, and I thought I'd finally decided to, but it seems like the new model might be around the corner. I'd like to see them use the solar panel technology they have in their latest watch. USB-C should be in there as well.

The battery life isn't a problem for me when the unit is new (I can just charge it up with a power bank). When it has aged and doesn't hold a charge as well (lithium batteries operate at about 80% their full capacity after the first year of use. If they're kept at about 40% charge, they will remain 98% capacity but if you switch the unit off, it still drains current, so you cannot do that) I'd like to be able to put in a new battery. By then the warranty will have expired. It's incredibly easy to disassemble (it's not like a phone) but I cannot find a suitable battery yet. Garmin won't sell one, they offer to sell a whole new unit at a discount (before anyone thinks that's a good idea... ask yourself if you replace your entire television every time you want the AA batteries in your remote control to be replaced, lol). This sounds like a greedy trick to me and so I'm probably going to wait it out. I don't need one until next summer.

As a consumer, the only way I can punish them for this and effect change is to not be loyal (I've bought a lot of garmin products) and to simply say hey, you don't get my money.

• Never say never. But think it unlikely that there will be a second generation of the Mini that differs in any material respect from the current model. Garmin tends to move on to new devices in the line, rather than making substantive changes in "gen 2" devices. Just my opinion, though. This is a peer to peer forum. Nobody here is likely to have advance knowledge of things like this.

• Someone else posted a link to a supposedly compatible Chinese battery in another thread. However, it's still my opinion that doing this yourself runs the risk of compromising the water and dust seals on the device. Yes, yes, I know - it's really easy. But you're potentially trusting your life to this device in the back country...

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to twolpert

Using that logic, nothing should stop electricians from charging people a lot to replace dead lights in their homes. $18,024 seems like a small price to pay to avoid the potential risk of being electrocuted to death. 

I don't know why garmin is to be trusted 100% either; your argument is a false dichotomy:

• The replacement might be faulty. I'd argue there's a greater chance of that than there is something which has been tried and tested for a while.
    • If they were to replace the battery, and not the unit, it's possible the technician will make a mistake.
    • It's possible they won't make the same unit in the future, so it might not even be an option.
    • I trust myself more than I trust someone else to do a simple task.
    • The device is rated as IPX7; I doubt you pay someone every time the tempe battery needs replacing (it is even more sealed; it's rated at 10m).

I'm capable of replacing the batteries on a remote control, changing lights or replacing the batteries in this device. If you feel you aren't capable, then pay someone else to but please accept some of us are able to do basic tasks. Compulsively replying in every thread, stalking my every post and blind fanboyism doesn't make your arguments stronger, it just makes me wish you'd leave me alone.

The Garmin Fenix watch lineup refutes your previous post. It's not an "opinion" to think the moon is flat. You might believe it, but it's fictitious to claim it.

• Congratulations, tw, you have now joined me in acquiring sufficient knowledge in the subjects of sociology and human behavior to qualify for a degree.  Note that I was also subjected to the criticisms of the intellectually handicapped about a 1 1/2 years ago:  https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/347629-gpsmap-64st-elevation-determination-methods/&tab=comments#comment-5706551

For example, in my opening post, I stated that I read the manual.  Then, in the first response, HHL said that I should read the manual.  Subsequently, others made equally nonsensical comments.  Fortunately, such is not life threatening.  There was one comment by Mineral2 that was good enough for me to follow up with now that I have a 66i.  I was really hoping for a button-push by button-push procedure; however, none was forthcoming.  With the one validly helpful answer, the 4th post of March 12, 2018, I was recently able complete my testing and I will post it in that thread shortly.

OK, I'll return in a while WRT to the human behavior to which you and I have been subjected.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to CowboySlim

CowboySlim, I noticed in the thread you linked, you said you have an engineering degree. I hope you can forgive me for thinking I have the ability to unscrew a few screws, pull a plug, swap the battery over, and screw in those screws back gain. 

In my defence, I gave my thoughts and I said it seems like a new model might be around the corner; from that, the reader can infer now is not the best time to buy (especially considering black friday sales are coming up soon). I answered the question and I said I'm in a similar boat. The battery life is more complicated than meets the eye.

I don't know if you're criticising me or defending me (your post isn't clear) but the majority of what I've said has been on topic and relevant. Your post hasn't begun to address the question and no doubt the followup replies won't either. In regards to the link you gave; it seems like they don't like you but I am not going to read it all.

• I'm glad that your comment about being stalked wasn't derisive.  And yes, I was on the team that launched the GPS and Iridium satellites; as the inReach Minis function as expected, I guess my mistakes were non-fatal.

• My reply was intended to inform you that a compatible battery was mentioned in another thread. It was intended to be helpful. Just pointing that out - at the risk of further "stalking you" :-D

• Wow... I seriously doubt that a gen two of the mini, nor a battery replacement will help you.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

Anyone have any thoughts on buying the mini now vs a refresh?

It's pretty simple really. If you frequent remote locations alone, then you'll probably want to buy one now as it might just end up saving your life. Not being able to contact SAR in an emergency because you're waiting for newer hardware seems somewhat foolish.