InReach Mini powers on then quickly off.

My InReach Mini powers on, flashes a screen so fast I can't read it then powers off.  I was told by CS to update firmware.  I cannot power it on, so Express cannot find it, so I cannot update firmware.  Ideas?

• Did a factory reset.  Now when I attempt the turn on I see "Garmin" then a flash to a screen to select the language then off.  So basically the same.

• When you say "did a factory reset", how did you do that? And why?

Without the factory reset, this smacks of a dead battery and failure to charge. 

First thing I'd try would be to plug it into a wall wart (not a PC) and see if it comes up that way. It should boot normally and stay on. If you then shut it off via the screens, it should display a screen showing battery percentage and continue to charge. Fully charge it before doing anything else.

If it fails to stay on in this configuration, I would swap cables to see if that helps. 

Next thing try (even if you did a factory reset before) would be to force a factory reset via the buttons. With the device off, press and hold back, down and power all at the same time. (I would try this with it plugged into the wall wart just to eliminate battery issues.) The gear icon and USB icon should appear on the screen. When that happens, release all buttons. Press and hold SOS (I know, I know) until the device displays "Applying update" - the let go. After a few seconds, the unit will power down. Hopefully, it will then reboot normally when you next power up.

Note that if it will not get to the gear/USB icon while plugged into a wall wart, you can try it unplugged or connected to a PC. If connected to a PC, make sure that neither the sync program nor Garmin Express is running. And make sure that Garmin Express is not set up to auto-start when a device is connected. You don't want software getting in the middle of this.

Full instructions here: https://support.garmin.com/en-IE/?faq=XLQKMvuJWkAHeyvcK5RfQ6

That article also describes how to put the device in F/W update mode via the buttons. But this requires that the device will stay on while disconnected. (Disregard the mention of the sync program. You now want Garmin Express.)

If it won't stay on while connected to wall wart, and the factory reset from the buttons does not help, I think you're going to have to call tech support again and make the situation clear to them.

• I'm having the same exact issue. Plug in Garmin inreach Mini and it flashes the GARMIN screen and then one other screen then dies. Have tried different power sources( battery block and house power) no difference. To me it seems a recharge/power issue so the only thing left would be to swap out the charging cable. However unlikely since this power cable is happily charging up other devices. I'm so bummed. I read the above entry regarding factory reset, will this even work without having enough power to operate?

• Would not recommend any kind of reset if the unit will not power up and stay powered up. Try another cable if you have one. If not, or if that does not help, call tech support.

• I ended up calling tech support and they sent me a new unit.  It was defective.  Sounds like it wasn't an isolated incident.

• Same problem here as well. Tried all the fixes including factory reset. I've just sent an email to support as it is a weekend now and support is closed. Sure hope they get me a new unit soon. I'll have to head out this weekend for some 14er summiting without my Garmin. Not what I want. Quite disappointing after having used it only three times last summer. It's practically brand new. Otterquest, what was your solution? Is it fixed? Thanks.

• I called tech support and they replaced mine. 

• I had the same problem, and Garmin Support directed me to this article, which fixed the issue.

• article didn't load, can you repost it thanks