Tracking versus logging

Apologies if this has appeared before, but I'm stumped.

I've recently got an Inreach Mini that I hope to use to log a multiple-day route I'm taking. 

I'm on the cheapest subscription so I do not want to track too as this is an additional cost and I'll bankrupt myself!

On both the ios Earthmate app and device I can toggle Tracking to "off" and logging to , for example, "ten minutes".

So, how do I start logging? If I toggle the "start tracking when unit turns on" will this turn on logging automatically even when tracking is set to off? Or do I need to start logging separately on the Earthmate app?

Thanks

• AFAIK, you cannot log and NOT send. The best you can do is to send at 4 hour intervals and log at your desired interval. 

The “tracking on/off” function controls both. Doesn’t matter if you control it manually or start automatically at power on.

Note that you CAN send but not log. This is asymmetric because it’s intended as a safety device.

• That is very helpful. Thanks Twolpert.

• Note that you can send as many of the preset messages as you want at no cost.  And those include a location.  That's what I do for most outings.  The only time I'm likely to turn on automatic "sending" of location is during a race where I don't want to even think about it.  If you happen to have a compatible Garmin watch, you can even send these messages without pulling out the mini.

• I am told by Garmin support that there should be a "send interval" option of zero (or off). Selecting this send interval would allow you to log without sending. Inexplicably, this option does not appear on my Mini.

You should find this under Setup, Tracking, Send Interval. If this option does not appear on your device, and if you are running current firmware (version 2.60), you should open a call with tech support. Support is very interested in pursuing this issue.

• There is a "send interval" of off while still allowing a log interval. That is what I've mostly been using.

I did have some weirdness today with my 945 where it wouldn't let me send any preset messages, or even start/stop tracking from the watch.  After changing the send interval to 10 min, everything worked.  But then I set it back to "off" and everything still worked.  So it could be this just jiggered a setting somewhere.  It could also be somehow related to suspending my account, although it clearly states that won't take effect until August 10th.  Something I need to pay more attention to.  Too many possibilities to know for sure what caused what.

• , please confirm whether or not you have the option of a send interval of "off" or zero on your Mini. If so, you can get the effect you want by setting the send interval to off, the logging interval to whatever you want, and turning tracking on.

If you do NOT have this option, Garmin support is interested in hearing from you. Please open a call with them.

• I just tried this using the ios app and latest firmware of 2.6 on the Mini. I went for a 20km bike ride with logging at 1minute and the send interval as off.  

It synced to Earthmate and then back to the inReach server. I can see my track perfectly. It's a bit choppy compared to my Garmin Edge but that's obviously 1 second tracking rather than 1 minute. Good enough for my purpose and means I can see my track without having to turn GPS tracking on via my camera. Far easier to charge the Mini than a digital SLR when out and about.

Thanks for your help Twolpert and others

• Is there any reason at all to have logging set to a low interval when paired with a compatible Garmin watch? For instance I'm taking my two boys (ages 10 and 8) into the Pecos this weekend for a short backpacking trip. I'm the only adult and I figured having an inReach mini along would give me a bit of peace of mind as I'll be well outside my typical cell service and responsible for my two kids. 

My plan was to keep the mini sending tracking points a the 10 minute interval of my plan to map share so that my wife could check in on us while we are hiking. I honestly don't care if the mini keeps a log of the trip, i just want it to send breadcrumbs and be available in case it all hits the fan. Does the mini also create a track/log on the explore app and website when sending tracking points? 

• The Mini is not directly compatible with GCM/Explore mobile apps. If you choose to send and log, sent points appear on the Explore web site and MapShare in more or less real time. The logged points sync to the explore ecosystem when you do an OTA sync via the Earthmate app or when you do a wired sync with the Sync desktop app on a PC. 

If you choose not to log (or up until you sync) the sent points will be connected to one another via straight-line segments to form a rudimentary "track". 

To answer the direct question - No, there is no reason at all to log on the Mini if you don't need the detailed track. All it does is suck battery.

• One caveat - I've never tried TracBack without logging. If you anticipate any possible need for that feature, try it before you go.