inReach Charges

First of all I'm terribly sorry if this has been asked before however I can't find anything from my own searching on these forums.

I have recently bought an inReach Mini and set it up with the safety plan. With this I understand that preset messages are free, I then have 10 custom messages included, and any tracking points or location pings are charged at £0.10 each. As such I have turned MapShare and all tracking settings off so not to accidentally get charged.

While setting up my messages and checking out all the settings I noticed a checkbox saying include a link to an online map with my location (below) with each message.

I was wondering if this location map is included within my plan, or whether I'll be charged £0.10 for each message including this location?

Also will that location link work even though I have MapShare turned off?

• The check box applies to messages delivered via SMS. Location is (usually) sent to the Garmin servers with each message, regardless of this setting. All messages are charged against your plan in the normal manner, whether or not the box is checked. Checking the box causes the Garmin servers to add the link to the SMS message before it goes to the recipients. The map to which the link points is not the same as MapShare - it is a separate web page used only via these links.

There is a similar link in messages delivered via email. That one also links to a similar special-purpose page which also offers the ability to reply to the email message. (Replies to SMS messages are handled via the phone's SMS reply function. No special functionality on web map page is required.)

There is no need to turn MapShare off to avoid additional charges. You might, however, want to visit the MapShare Settings on the Social tab of your account at explore.garmin.com. From there, you can disable sending of messages and/or locate requests from MapShare. Those are the two things that might result in additional charges resulting from MapShare use. However, if you are not sending track points, the only things that will show up on the MapShare page are messages which you specifically address to MapShare.

You should also be aware that replies to messages you send (via SMS or email) are chargeable against your plan. There is nothing you can do to control replies other than to be selective about to whom you send messages in the first place.

• Thank you for the clarification.