inReach Mini unexpectedly shuts down while charging and in use

Hi all, I'm using my inReach mini on motorcycle trips - days often 10 to 12 hours of active duration.  When active and charging (USB battery bank or USB power port) during the day the device switches off unexpectedly.  I've searched but cannot find any other mention of this - has anyone experienced or any suggestions?

• Can't remember if the Mini is one of the units that shuts down when external power is removed. Test that. If it does shut down, then I'd be suspicious of the connections between your mount and the unit.

If it doesn't normally shut down when external power is removed, or if the connections look to be solid, a call to product support is probably in order.

• You remembered correctly.  The inReach Mini does power down after it is disconnected from power. Since the charging cable is just a Mirco USB, it might be best for you to charge the Mini when it is not bouncing around on your motorcycle.  The battery was designed to last more than a day, and I hope that you aren't riding longer than that.  Plus if the USB cover is open then it would be acceptable to water since the water ranking needs the USB cover to be flush to the device.

• Thanks.  I'll check.  If it is running through a USB port on bike then power might be switched off when ignition is switched off at a break stop.

The other thing that I was thinking about is if the temperature is getting too hot.  I noticed in the manual that charging temperature range is quite a bit lower than operating temperature. 45celsius vs 60celsius.  In hot sun it could be touching the lower number.  There is reference in the update files release notes to a "too hot" icon added but I haven't been able to find an example of what that looks like,

• My inreach will turn off, or rather go into a weird state when I plug in the charging cable.  It shows a charging screen.  That is it.  I cannot access any other functions of the device.  And it disappears from my phone app.

• My inreach will turn off, or rather go into a weird state when I plug in the charging cable.  It shows a charging screen.  That is it.  I cannot access any other functions of the device.  And it disappears from my phone app.

[Edit]

It turns out the weird state is only when the device is plugged in to a computer.  When it is plugged in to a battery, it stays powered on and usable.

• When you plug it into a computer USB port, it should go into USB mode for data transfer. That screen would show the USB "logo". In USB mode, you cannot get to the UI and the radios are off. I'm not sure under what circumstances it would go into charging (only) mode with a computerized USB connection.

• I am having the same issue! I use USB cable and the moment i remove it from the device it shuts down and deletes all previous route data! Is this normal? 

• If the device is charging/powered via USB and you remove the USB cable, it shuts down. That part is normal.

I am not sure what you mean by "deletes all previous route data". Are you talking about actual routes (that you can "follow" by navigating with the device) or tracks recorded on the device?

• Yes if it is tracking, it stops and for some reason i cant find the overall tracking and routes details.. i am currently doing a trip from kenya to south africa and wanna keep track of the whole route. Is there a way to find it all? 

• Sent points (transmitted via the Iridium network) should be saved on the web site. in an unexpected power-down, any such points that have not yet been sent will be lost. Although I've never actually tried it, I would not expect logged points to be lost. They will appear on the mobile device and the web site the next time you sync. 

As pointed out, the best thing to do is to charge the Mini overnight, rather than leaving it connected to power in a moving vehicle.