How many track points can be stored on the internal memory?

Anyone sussed this yet?

It's impossible to make a good decision about what logging interval to choose without knowing the answer to this question.

I've just had an exchange with Matthew at Garmin support. His first answer was 200! I explained that I'd already recorded a track with over 2,200 track points so that couldn't be correct. His next answer was "I have done a lot of searching and have not been able to find a definitive answer to the maximum track logs that can be stored." I hope he does know the difference between track points and track logs really?

I've suggested this info is included in the documentation. The old Garmin 76csx's would hold a maximum of 10,000 track points. I'm hoping the inReach Mini does at least that many. With a 1 sec logging interval even 10,000 points will only accurately record a track for 2h 47 mins
  • Hmm. Any news on this one? I'd like to know...

• Hey, I'm riding my motorcycle long distance with this too and I'm curious about whether the app needs to be running the whole time or not?
    Thanks to this forum I worked out that the 1sec logs are uploaded to the map when I sync.. but was curious if that will still be saved if I am not running the app and just have the device tracking by itself.. 

Because I have noticed that my iPhone has a tendency to cancel background operations it deems are using too much power or whatever - even while charging.  

• The points are logged regardless of whether or not the app is running. For that matter, the unit does not even have to be paired with a phone. However, in order for the logged (as opposed to sent via satellite) points to show up on the web site, you must sync the data. The app provides that functionality. You can also do a wired sync with the desktop sync program.

However, the points are subject to overwriting if the on-device log becomes full. I just looked again and could find no information on the maximum point count. The owner's manual does, however, mention retention of a less detailed track line when the buffer wraps. More vague smoke with no light.