Can I get a OS Grid Reference?

Hi

I have just bought an InReach Mini and would like to get a OS grid reference on the device and on the Earthmate app.

Is this possible?

Cheers,

Tom
  • OS GB is available as a datum on the Mini. You can try that. However, I don't see a corresponding units designation, even when the datum is selected on the unit. Best bet would probably be to try UTM/UPS and hope it come out relative to the proper grid square. When I try this in the US (which it totally ridiculous), UTM/UPS shows the proper UTM zone for my location. Obviously, the GB grid does not cover my location.

And I have no idea what the effect would be on the Earthmate app.

In addition, I don't know how accurate the conversion to lat/lon would be since the datum involves a non-standard elipsoid.
  • Thanks, I have tried that but as you mentioned it doesn't have the corresponding units. Its pretty frustrating, I have been on the phone with Garmin today and am now waiting to hear back. I wanted to use this for Mountain Rescue but if I can't get a grid reference then its no good in conjunction with the maps we use???
  • A phone app would give you an accurate OS grid ref. Would using your phone solve your issue?

I have an inReach mini but prefer to navigate with a phone in a waterproof bag (Overboard do good ones).

I'm curious!
  • Hi Tom,

I've just got the Inreach Mini and have the same issue, Did you resolve it. Still love the communication features which is what I bought it for so I can live with this .as I use the Viewranger app on my phone to navigate but the location would be a nice backup with a paper map. It does seem to be a basic laps by garmin.

Regards

Mick
  • Hi, I’ve got an inReach mini linked to earthmate on my phone. Has anyone found a solution to the issue of viewing the earthmate map with UK OS Grid Reference so that I can cross reference a location with paper map.
  • As far as I know: no. I’ve contacted customer support and they don’t seem to care. Big omission for the U.K. market as it makes the most useful bit of nav data pretty useless here

• If anyone still querying this . . .

Bought one of these 3 days ago. On the phone today to Garmin GB support - no, the inreach mini cannot be set to display GB grid refs and therefore cannot be used in the UK for location fixing or navigation to a waymark. Extraordinary. My best coordinates/datum option on the device was UTM/UPS & WGS84 which, natch, bears no relation to os maps. Device returned and Garmin Billing were quick to reply by email and decent enough to refund my monthly subscription of £14.99 and the (surprise additional, grrr) activation fee of £24.99. Ludicrous to market the mini over here until it can be used with a paper map & compass - which anyone setting out should have and know how to use. Even the Ordnance Survey online shop is flogging these.

The Explorer is the next level device and has a high profile everywhere online but I see there's also a post elsewhere on this forum asking if it can used with GB gridrefs. 

• I think you're probably going to find that the first iR device to support this is the GPSMAP 66i. This is the first model which is a full member of the Garmin ecosystem. (All prior models have their roots in the original DeLorme products. The Mini is sort of half and half, but obviously still has very limited choice of datum.) The 66i inherited its GPS functionality from the standard Garmin handhelds in the 66 line. 

I have no way of verifying that it works (I'm in the central US) but Ord Srvy GB IS an available datum on the 66i. When selected, it uses the Airy spheroid. (I have no idea if that's the correct one.)

• I can get Ord srvy GB Grid on my Instinct watch, so does seem a bit odd that it's not on the Inreach Mini. That being said, the SOS beacon function of the mini is my main purpose behind it & the two way texting. Do the Mini's 'big brothers' have UK Grid system?