Speed (avg)

The Speed (avg) on the tracking screen does not seem to be accurate. If I turn on tracking and do a slow walk for an hour the InReach will initially say I am averaging 3+ mph. At an hour it will say 7+ mph.
  • Still having this issue. I did a hike with another InReach Mini owner and their average speed was correct (2 MPH). Mine was 8 MPH!

• Try connecting to the Earthmate app on your phone as you go..  I think that it will display more representative values.

• This may depend on your settings for logged track points (as opposed to sent track points). The Mini is only going to acquire a fix when it needs to. If you are sending at 10 minute intervals and not logging at all, you will only get a fix every 10 minutes. The resulting distance will be based on a series of straight-line segments, each 10 minutes long. The resulting distance will likely be less (perhaps much less) than you actually traveled. That will result in higher apparent speed. 

If you are sending at 10 minute intervals and logging at 1 minute intervals, the result will be based on a series of straight line segments, each 1 minute long. The resulting distance still may be less than you traveled, but it will be closer. And your apparent speed will also be closer.

• I am wondering if this problem has been solved or is it a defect in my brand new unit.  On yesterday's 4 mile hike I tracked (not sending) every minute with a nice track along the trail. The distance was right on and matched our trail description and my companion's GPS watch.  But I got 4 mph on the first 3 miles (1.5 hr.).  This part of the trail was not switchbacked and only gained 300 feet.  Should I be returning the device ?

• The average speed is not computed the way we all think it is. In particular, it does not equal total distance divided by total time. Instead, it is computed from incremental speeds between track points. With track points at 1 minute intervals, you probably are not going to get a very accurate value.

Since I don't know what speed you actually achieved, I don't know if this is "close" or not. Even if it is not, I doubt that it has anything to do with a hardware problem - particularly since you say that the track itself looked good.

Do note that the Mini is slow to acquire a fix. It is also aggressive about saving power. I am not sure if this affects the accuracy of the logged point. Again, though, you said the track was good...

• My speed by other means was 2 mph.  I will set for longer intervals this week.  Thanks.