Inreach mini 2

I justbought this device and having trouble setting it up.  I've setup a subscription and had problems with bluetooth connection to iphone 12 pro max.  I think I've got it working now so I login to garmin explore and try to edit preset (now called check in messages) and it seems I can only edit the recipients and not the actual text in the 3 messages.  The support help says you can but they are referring to 'preset' messages not 'check in' messages.  It seems like the support help is not up to date with the new naming.  Is it not possible to edit these messages?  This doesn't seem right to me.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

• You're right.  Infact I had downloaded that pdf file.  But was all over the place searching and just missed that current manual as the "one" to follow.  I was also using this one too 

https://www.manua.ls/garmin/inreach-mini-2/manual?p=7. 

But I'm getting it all figured out, thanks to YouTube , and reading up on forums, including this one, and other sites with directions.  

Thanks for your input Edvard 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago in reply to 9485974

Two small tips.

• To see the most recent videos when searching on YouTube, select filter and sort by upload date.

• Note the web address (URL) in your browser. Garmin.com is usually a more reliable source for written documentation than third-party sites like manua.ls.

• To be clear, multi GNSS refers to the GPS systems used to establish your position. The Iridium satellites used to send and receive messages are a completely different set of satellites. In most situations, it is considerably easier to establish a position fix than to send/receive messages.

Typically, there are only 2 or 3 Iridium satellites in view. The transit times are very short. The net result is that a restricted sky view (for example, in a narrow canyon or at the base of a bluff) can be a real problem. However, once you “send” a message, the device will (re)try very hard until it succeeds. SOS messages are no different from any other message in this regard. Assuming that the device eventually gets a sufficiently clear view, the message will go out. But it might take a long time.

Finally, note that NO inReach device “stays connected” to the Iridium network. It connects when it needs to connect. You can tell when it is connected (or trying to connect). There is a status bar indicator for the Iridium modem. Some devices even display a modified icon when the device is having difficulty connecting. Check the manual for info on the icon.

You should, however, consider where you are carrying the M2. Although the M2 is somewhat better, both M1 and M2 have notoriously poor antennas. The conventional wisdom is to carry the unit high on your shoulder (for example, on a pack strap). This minimizes the amount of sky blocked by your body. Do not carry the unit on your belt, in jacket or pants pocket, or in your pack bag.

• Not clear how the positioning part of this works. Trilateration requires at least 3 satellites in view. 4 is better, although I don’t remember why offhand. It also requires the receiver to have very good information about the precise location of each satellite. Not clear to me how Iridium would accomplish all of this.

I assume it does work, particularly since it mentions conformance to the emerging standards. And it’s commercially available.

In my experience, though, the position fix is not usually the problem. It’s contacting the Iridium network for messaging. Maybe the mechanics are different for PNT than for short message service?

It sounds like this could be used in Ir devices. Not sure how the power budgets would be affected, tho.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago in reply to twolpert

I'm sure the smart engineers over at Garmin have researched and considered this.

PNT measurements from STL are intended to be used for a variety of applications:

• providing position and precision timing that is resilient to regional outages of Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS)
    • aiding GNSS acquisition
    • augmenting GNSS measurements when not enough GNSS satellites are in view

The STL system allows a receiver to decode the signal and perform precise Doppler and range measurements at attenuation levels that penetrate into GNSS-challenged environments. The strength and fidelity of the signal are sufficient to allow it to pass through structures and other occlusions, providing coverage in deep indoor and urban canyon environments. link