InReach and AT&T not working

Just bought a Garmin InReach Explorer + after researching Garmin vs. Spot.  I did not find any reviews saying their were issues with AT&T.  However, after buying and testing, none of the text messages will go through AT&T (mine or my family phones).  I've tried every setting.  Garmin really needs to advertise that their satellite is not compatible with AT&T.  I'm surprised based on all the same issues being posted on the Garmin forum that it is still advertised as working with any phones.  REI didn't seem aware of this issue.  My InReach works with every other phone company and emails, but we are an AT&T family right now (maybe we need to swtich) or return the Garmin and buy a Spot (but I don't want to buy a Spot).  Anyone found any solutions that work?  I've already removed the location lins, map sharing links, etc, etc.  Unfortunately, my family doesn't check their email that often so without the text option the Garmin really isn't helpful except as an SOS.  However, much cheaper units for just SOS.