How much costs "Check for messages"?

Listen interval can be set up from "Continuous" to 20 minutes. Any idea how much costs each checking as it definitely refreshes current location in MapShare. Usually the location data is charged around 0.10$ per location (ping, trackpoint). I doubt that "Check for messages" refreshes location for free? Or, maybee I am wrong...

Info: I have Safety plan.

• There is no cost to use the "Check for Messages" function. The location refreshing on the Map comes from your GPS position rather than the inReach tracking points, so there is no charge for your location updating.

• Thank you, Andrew.

I'll try to use "Check" every 10 minutes as a replacement of locate (ping) function. It seems locate does not work in Europe, maybe because of GDPR law.

• Can't speak specifically to Europe. In general, locate requests initiated from the web site can take quite a while before the location is actually updated. A location request sends a message to your inReach device. In order for the updated location to appear on the web site, the device must respond to the message. In general, this will not happen until the device actively checks for messages. That occurs on power up, when you do a message check, and when the device sends something (for example, a "sent" track point or a message). And, of course, the device needs a clear view of the sky during the active check.

I do not know details, but the location request does not appear to be handled like an ordinary message. In particular, it does not appear to be queued indefinitely (if, for example, the device is off for an extended period). Instead, the web site says that it will "retry" at intervals for a few days. Not sure what this implies, but it does seem to lead to somewhat unreliable operation of the feature.

Edited to add: You should be aware that actively checking for messages, manual or otherwise, uses quite a bit of power. This isn't usually an issue in good conditions. But if you have a poor sky view, the device will try very hard - for an extended period of time - to complete the message check.

• Thank you, Tom. From my Explorer+ requested for message after the location request on web browser. Current  location showed properly on the browser's map in the form of blue triangle. After checking the request location functionality two or three times, old locations are now shown as a star in a circle. As seen from "My Subscription" details each request is charged 1 point when requested and each delivered trackpoint also 1 point when delivered, so 2 altogether.
    Enabled listen interval for messages is obviously essential for location service. So I am testing battery usage listen interval set to 10 minutes. As the device is in my house, it is (unsuccessfully) trying hard to connect with satellites. After two hours the battery is still 96% charged. I'll go out for couple of hours now. Virus quarantine allows us to move only in our local community area, so 3-4 kilometers, but there are some forested hills around, so I can check the device in pretty real conditions.
    Your posts are a great help for me, as some things regarding InReach devices are pretty tricky. So I am testing functionalities step by step. Is maybe there any "in depth" manual for InReach? Otherwise I'll be forced to keep posting the questions in this forum Innocent, as next test in a plan is sending trackpoints. Kind regards from Slovenia!
  • Hi Jure, here is a link to the Support Center for the inReach Explorer+. If you click Manual on the left, you can download the full length owner's manual. https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?productID=561269&tab=topics

• What you describe is normal for a locate request. The circle-star icon represents the result of the locate request.

Indoor testing for message checks is about as power-intensive as it gets. Typically, an indoor check never completes.

For testing power consumption for sent track points (not your current issue, I know), it's important to keep moving during the test. The inReach devices sense when you have stopped. They fall back to a four-hour send interval for track points. When you resume moving, they return to your configured interval.

• Hi Andrew, the link shows only "Error 1020 Access denied", probably because it is "internal support". Just to make clear: I already have  "INREACH SE+ / INREACH EXPLORER+Owner’s Manual January 2020  190-02165-00_0C, on 9 pages" which looks like quick starting guide. Any other (public) link or option? Thanks!

• Hi TWolpert. After 9.5 hours (5h indoors, 4.5h outdoors, rare forest) of battery testing with listen interval set to 10 minutes  there is still 82% power in battery. It seems quite encouraging. But it is good to know behaviour of device when sending track points. Thanks again!

I'll post the charge rate tomorrow (after 24 hours).

• My mistake, here is the correct link: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?productID=561269&tab=topics thanks for pointing it out. It's good you already have the owner's manual, you may find other articles for topics that may be helpful later on. 

• You'll find that legacy devices (SE+ and Explorer+) have better battery life than the newer inReach devices (Mini, GPSMAP 66i). There's always a tradeoff  between battery drain and features.