What information will be given during a SOS to GEOS/Emergency Responders about me and my current trip?

I have just purchased a Mini and am will be activating and setting it up shortly. I've been viewing the inReach webinars and searching the forums to get a better idea on how to setup my inReach device.

What I'd like to do is to create a route and share this with my friends on the MapShare site. On my MapShare page I will send a message to it listing my itinerary for this trip. This way my family & friends will be able to see my planned route as well as a short description explaining the next leg in my route each day and where relevant the contingent plans in areas where the terrain or weather might require me to change my route.

If I trigger a SOS will GEOS also be able to see my MapShare page as well as the message I sent to the MapShare page outlining my itinerary?

• My understanding is that (at minimum) GEOS has access to your position when you trigger the SOS, track points sent after that, and any messages you send them as part of the SOS message exchange. In addition, they have access to your emergency contacts and any emergency notes that you store with your account. The emergency notes would be the place for a brief summary of the current trip.

(I am not sure how much of your previous track history is available to GEOS. I would assume that all of it is available, but I don't know that for a fact. And it might be important if you are unable to trigger an SOS. See below.)

GEOS will attempt to reach your emergency contacts as part of the process. So, at a minimum, your contacts could pass on what they know (via MapShare or otherwise).

The best info I've seen on this is probably this webinar, which you may have already viewed. https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=3o9LUdZ3wL9MRjISC6ihf8

The really important thing, though, is that GEOS (and SAR, if they become involved) has your current position and whatever up to date information you can give them on your situation. No matter how much pre-planning and preparation you do, the latest available information is always better.

As an aside, it's always a good idea to send track points continuously while in the back country. If for any reason you cannot trigger an SOS (for example, you are incapacitated or your unit was damaged in a fall), SAR can use your last known position as a starting point once somebody at home reports you overdue.

• Thanks for your help, based on what you've said I'll leave the emergency notes for health related notes and use the MapShare page to post my itinerary.