Sending SMS to the person not in the contact list; sending message to local 112 (European rescue center) directly

Is sending SMS to person not on the contact list possible?  Explorer+ has an option to add a new contact, so technically this can be done before message is sent. But would this work before the device is synchronized with explore.garmin.com?

Regarding 112 SMS: Can I add a special contact with local SAR number  to contact list (European example: 00 386 112 for Slovenia). Sending message directly can much improve quality of information exchange with SAR on field, spare time and  possible language translation mistakes can be avoided (I am in doubt that GEOS speaks 220 languages as advertised).

So, is it possible to call for help such way (without using SOS button). Verified: local SAR accepts a message as well as a voice call.

Thank you very much!

• Non-life threatening questions first: In general, using a contact only works after the new contact has been synchronized across all platforms involved in message transmission. This is true no matter where the new contact is created. For example, if the contact is created on the web site, it needs to be sync-d to the device before it can be used. (That one seems obvious.) If the contact is created on the device (or in the related mobile app, Earthmate or Explore depending on the device), it still must be synchronized back to the servers before it can be successfully used. This one is not so obvious. The reason is that the device does not send the contact address with the message. Instead, it sends a "short code" which identifies the contact. The Garmin servers convert the short code to a real address and forward the message appropriately. All platforms involved must agree on the short codes in order for this to work.

You can always send a message to a phone number (SMS) or to an email address by entering the address directly on the device when you compose the message. (Exception: preset messages always go to the recipients defined for the message. They cannot be explicitly addressed, either by contact or by explicit address.) SMS numbers entered this way must include the appropriate country prefix.

On to life-threatening: As long as your local SAR organization will accept the text message as a request for help, you can consider doing this. However, you also need to verify that such a message will actually be delivered. Garmin servers mediate all message exchange. In order to deliver SMS messages worldwide, Garmin makes use of third-party SMS gateways in various countries. I think that coverage is fairly universal, but there have been reports of locations where SMS messages simply are not delivered. When the device says "sent", that just means the message has reached the nearest Iridium satellite. That's all you will ever know from the device itself.

In addition, some gateways which can deliver outbound messages cannot provide enough information to allow replies. It's not worth explaining the details, but it can be an issue.

The bottom line: Without testing both directions with your local SAR organization, you cannot be sure that they will receive the message to start with. Even if they do, you cannot be sure (again, without testing) that they will be able to reply to you to ask additional questions.

Finally, when you press the SOS button, the device goes into a special SOS mode. This affects a number of things, some important and some just incidental. Important: device begins sending track points at frequent intervals, regardless of your tracking settings (and even if tracking was off). Important: device listens more frequently from incoming messages, making timely "conversation" possible. Incidental: device replaces your normal quick text messages with messages which are frequently used in a rescue scenario. None of this happens if you don't press the button.

Other important factors: GEOS has access to emergency contacts and other emergency information (emergency notes you place on your account, such as drug allergies and implanted devices). You can trigger the SOS from a paired phone or (in some cases) a Garmin watch paired with the device. YMMV on that one.

One final note: Direct contact with local SAR isn't feasible in all situations. For example, in the US, it may well be that the appropriate SAR organization depends on the county in which you are located at the time. Just not practical to set that up in advance (and test it) for every trip.

Personally, I favor the GEOS options. OTOH, English is my native language and I am in the US.

• Twolpert, I really appreciate your "in depth" reply!  It solved me some basic questions. When tested InReach Mini could not find an option of typing the international formatted GSM phone number directly. In Manual usage of the alphabet characters is described as for selecting contacts for message only, not writing GSM numbers directly. After seeing your claim on direct typing I made an additional research and have found out that numeric keyboard is involved by pressing # key. Not even mentioned in manual!  Grinning

I agree very much with your information regarding SOS button. But I have to explain, why I think the direct contact with SAR is not so bad. In Italy, Austria and Slovenia where I mainly go mountaineering, ski touring or climbing, the mountains are pretty wild. Luckily most of the area is covered with GSM signal, but there is also a lot of non covered places. It could happen that GSM signal can be available only couple of hundred meters from the place of incident, but if someone is alone with broken leg, this short distance can be a question of survival. Long time ago I was a member of mountaineering SAR team, so I have a basic idea how the rescue is ongoing. Active rescuers told me they simply make a call to one who needs help when additional information is needed. If there is GSM signal on both sides (as it was said, couple of hundred meters can make a great difference!) and of course if the affected person is capable to talk...  But in a situation when the affected person has no GSM signal, satellite communication is the only solution. By using communication through SOS channel, message goes from InReach unit to GEOS, from GEOS to 112 regional centre, from there to the head of the rescue operation and then further to the rescuers on field. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems a lot of communication traffic among different systems,  very likely with intermediate human intervention that can cause a mistake.

Different languages could also be a problem. For example, description of exact caller's location or his medical state both require a knowledge of pretty technical language. Correct translation into English while sending message to GEOS could be a mission impossible for a distressed person. Further translation forward to the language of SAR guys can add more mistakes. On the other hand, if caller writes message in his own language, GEOS should translate it to English to understand the situation. As stated, it is questionable if they really speak 220 languages. I believe they more or less translate with a help of computer program like Google  translate, which is much better now, but still far away from flawless translation. In my opinion simple direct communication to on the field rescuer's GSM can prevent a lot of misunderstandings and also save time. However, there is no reason for not to press SOS button additionally. As you mentioned, this brings InReach device in a special state with additional functionality and benefit.

Maybe I am wrong as my thinking comes from fact that I have absolutely no idea how GEOS to 112 and back communication procedure works. I have contacted of Slovenian 112 SAR  headquarters and received the answer that they have no experience with InReach, though technically there is no obstacles for this service. Nor does the local Slovenian Garmin dealer know much or nothing about it. I will be very grateful  for any information on communication procedure (maybe GEOS simply send an unlocked link of caller's MapShare to 112 so they can see history of all communications and locations and communicate with messages?). Next week I'll try to organize a short meeting with them to discuss InReach and possible test to send SMS from InReach to 112 and back.

I also have tried to enter the Austrian, Italian and Slovenian 112 codes as InReach contacts (+43 112, +39 112, +386 112). It was not possible, in all cases syntactic error like "too short GSM number" appeared. So SMS to 112 is highly questionable as it is limited already at the first, syntactic level. Maybe a solution is that in need free preset message to close friends should be sent? One will maybe see the message, contact 112 and pass them MapShare link with password.

Another question for me is satellite telephone number of InReach device, which can bee seen within the SMS of the GPS recipient. It goes like +1(201) 047-7734 and is changed if SMS is sent to another recipient. As the recipient is able to answer, it seems that a kind of thread for communication between two devices is established within InReach system. But how long would it last? If I send the SMS with satellite number to my wife, will she be able to reply me in 14 days, for example?  Will the SMS be possible to send from another GSM - if she passes the number to a third party  (SAR member..)?

Regardless of all questions, I decided on InReach Explorer +. I had the opportunity to review the InReach Mini and was very disturbed by its dependence on a mobile phone. In the mountains where I go, it is often -15 degrees Celsius in winter, less windchill cooling. By Garmin declaration InReach devices work to -20 degrees Celsius, but smart phones don't work in such a cold. Communicating directly with Mini device's small buttons and display is really a hard work. The decision was also supported by a stronger battery, a more robust design (bigger buttons). Also built-in compass gives to GPS device the right direction immediately without need to calibrate it by walking in a circle.

• With regard to entering international numbers, are you talking about doing so directly on the device? If so, this is clearly a bug. You should call tech support and report it.

If you are talking about doing so on the web, and if you used the drop-down list to select the country and its prefix, and that did not work - that is also a bug. Please report that as well.

You are correct about the way text message replies are handled. The SMS gateway chooses an available number (from its pool) at random and forwards the text message to the recipient's phone. Garmin servers retain information about that number, the recipient's number and your iR device in order to route replies back to you. The lifetime of that information is limited. Nobody knows the exact lifetime, but it's no shorter than a few weeks (and certainly longer than hours or days). Most of us handle this by "priming the pump". At the beginning of each trip, we send a new message to anyone who might need to contact us directly during the trip. That way, each person has a "new" message to which to reply.

The only other thing I would mention is that newer inReach devices, particularly the GPSMAP 66i, have foreign language support. I've never actually tried to send an iR message in anything other than English. However, the message text keyboard IS presented in the selected language - so I assume it works.

However, if you consider newer devices, you should carefully consider battery life. The claimed battery life for the 66i is less than the Mini, and considerably less than the legacy Explorer+ and SE+ devices. Expedition mode does help a lot - but still, you should consider carefully. Especially since your use case involves longer trips and lower temperatures.

• Maybe you are right regarding the bug in international phone format controls. It is something really strange. When trying to enter contact phone number the system behaves differently regarding the country and regarding the software:

in explore.garmin.com:
    the system beside international country code allows different number of phone number digits, regarding the country:
    Austria: minimum 5 digits (example: +43 12345)
    Italy:   minimum 5 digits (example: +39 12345)
    Slovenia: minimum 4 digits (example: +386 1234).

in Earthmate:
    It seems that beside country code the app is checking the city code and in some countries phone number also. For Austrian Klagenfurt (city code 463), par example, a minimum of three digits phone number can be entered (+43 463 123).

For Wienna (city code 1) I cannot guess the algorithm.  Phone code must be at least 8 digits long, It is not possible to enter number +43 1 12345678, but possible +43 1 22222222. Quite unusual in comparison to explore.garmin.com, which allow five simple digits after the country code without checking neither city nor phone code.

in InReach device:
    I cannot try it as I have no one available right now. But as I remember, the controls are carried out as on the website.

Emergency 112 is not allowed in any case, even the country code is properly written in front of it (not possible +43 112 for Austria, +39 112 for Italy, +386 112 for Slovenia).