Current KML file is not correct.

I am in Fajardo, Puerto Rico. inReach Maps shows that I am in Fajardo.  My KML file shows me in Antigua, where I was 3 weeks ago. How can I get my KML file to show the correct location?

Or put another way, how do I get my KML file to update?

• For clarification, are you referring to the inReach KML feed accessed through the Social tab on the Explore Website? If so, inReach KML feeds are polled for new point information at a frequency desired by the consumer, meaning the update rate is controlled by whichever map portal you're using to view the KML feed data. For more information about setting up the inReach KML feed, reference About inReach KML Feeds.

• Yes, I am referring to the KML feed through the Social tab. 

When I last sent a Custom Message and included Twitter in my recipients, my Tweet showed and clicking on the link resulted in a map showing my correct position. However, if I find the KML feed in the Social tab and pull that file into Google Earth it shows a dated position... from a month ago. 

I'm not sure I see from your link "About inReach KML Feeds." how to make the KML file update. Shouldn't it have updated when I sent a custom message?

• Does the message show up on your MapShare page? As I understand it, the KML feed will only show things that appear in MapShare. Messages must be addressed to MapShare in order to show up. Although I have no experience with Twitter, I don't think that the map linked from the tweet is your MapShare page. Speculating that it's a special-purpose page which shows only the one message.

I'd suggest that you try sending a message to MapShare (or MapShare and Twitter) and see what happens.

• Thanks. I checked it out and the messages are all showing up on my MapShare page. 

• If you're using Google Earth as your third-party map portal, the KML feed update has to be initiated by Google Earth -- the inReach KML file cannot push data to the Google Earth servers; the request for updated information must be done by the Google Earth servers. To get it to update in Google Earth, you will need to go to "Network Link" and click the "Refresh" tab to set the refresh rate. For example, if you set the refresh rate to 10 minutes, Google Earth will check for new inReach data from your KML feed every 10 minutes. I hope this helps.

• I'm actually using Spotwalla to get the KML data. To test, though, I've been copying the raw KML feed to a file and then importing it into Google Earth. Shouldn't that work?

• As long as you actually refresh the feed fetch each time. The point here is that there is no push. The feed should be up to date each time you pull. If it’s not, you might check check to be sure nobody between you and the feed is caching the response.

• I think you might be right. The last time it worked correctly was when I included MapShare in my addressing. Other times I just sent it to an email address or Twitter. I'm not at the boat for a few weeks. I'll try it again, including MapShare in the address when I get back.