Cannot access Explorer

I suspended my explorer last month and now cannot access any of the functions or data. Cannot get past the activation screen.

All the Q and A show that SOS and mapping will go away but the other functions will still work.

Not the case. I was able to access it until a few minutes ago when I synced it to my page.

It is now locked

Any thoughts

• What model of inReach and what firmware version?

• It is the Explorer model. Not the plus.

I cannot give you firmware version because they have turned the hand held into a brick. NO access to anything until I pay to continue my subscription.

(I suspended it in October.)

I have always had access to that device over the past few years  regardless of the subscription status. although no sat. connection when in suspension.

I bought and paid for this unit that included many functions including  optional sat. communication.

I own the info in that device, as well as the functions yet they have chosen to disable it.

The screen upon boot gives me no choice except to activate. Warning I will have no SOS or tracking, which is OK for now I don't need it. It does not warn me that It will be disabled.

Interestingly in my conversations with support they said thet model always did that - wrong - never did that. And they all push me to buy Explorer Plus which, they claim will work regardless of subscription status. How can I believe that considering what they did to my existing unit.

This is like Apple disabling your phone because you didn't buy any of their apps

$350 - out the window.

Thanks

• This is why I asked the question. AFAIK, the non-plus versions of the Explorer and SE are incapable of this. 

I can't vouch for your prior experience. It's been a really long time since I owned either unit. But the ones I did own did not have this feature. We just accepted the limitation, which I believe was known prior to purchase.

It's unfortunate that the support materials (the ones I could find) are vague on just which units do and do not have the feature.

• We are sorry for any confusion, but @twolpert comments are correct. This is by design for this product line. As stated in the owner's manual, the inReach Explorer and SE (non-plus models) GPS features will not work without a satellite airtime plane. At the time of the product release, the device was designed as an Iridium SOS and personal tracker that would allow you to stay in touch with friends and family around the world and also allow those same people to know you are safe while you are on your adventures and enjoying your life away from the modern grid. The GPS features were integrated as an added bonus. In fact, the GPS handheld features integrated into the inReach devices were not added until after the inReach Explorer Plus model came to the market. Since the Explorer Plus had built-in mapping and more overall GPS features, it was decided to allow it to be used as an Outdoor GPS handheld too without the Iridium tracking and SOS features. After watching the demand and popularity of the inReach Explorer Plus, it was decided to do a full intergradation between the Garmin Outdoor handhelds with the inReach devices. This can be seen with the GPSMap 66i and GPSMap 86i.

• Thank you for your reply. I understand the loss of satellite communication along with the related functions when the account is suspended.

However the compass, altimeter, and a few others do not rely on satellite communication.

Why are those locked out or for that matter why is the entire device locked? I actually own it along with and  functions with or without satellite connection.

As I mentioned earlier, it is like Apple locking a phone because you don't buy the apps.

Thank you

• My understanding is that this generation of iR devices is technically incapable of it. This functionality was actually retrofitted into the newer plus devices via a f/w update. It was part of the 66i from the outset. Offhand, I don’t recall if it was a retrofit on the Mini or not. Point is that I think Garmin would if they could...