InReach Offline Upload

I've been trying to figure out how to upload a file to my new inReach Explorer + when I'm not online. As far as I can tell, and as I've been informed by support over the phone, this is not possible. The only way to upload a file of routes or waypoints is by:

1. Uploading routes or waypoints to the online mapping tool inreach.garmin.com

2. Synching the online maps using InReach Sync

While this approach might work in the office it is completely unsuitable off grid. What ever happened to plugging in a USB cable and dropping whatever you wanted on your device? Why has usability gone back decades? Am I really expected to manually enter waypoints? What a dangerous waste of time.

Pretty disappointed and would love to be corrected.

• You can also sync via the Earthmate mobile app. However, AFAIK, you can only mark waypoints in the app. You can't create routes. And I am unaware of any way to import anything into the app except by syncing things created on the web site to the app to the device. Which puts you right back where you were before.

Newer inReach devices, beginning with the GPSMAP 66i, work with the more capable Explore mobile app. However, importing into the Explore app is not supported as far as I know. OTOH, you can connect the 66i to a PC via USB and drop .gpx or .fit files directly onto the device.

• Thanks for that twolpert. Thanks to your speedy reply I'm still in the returns period and will look to upgrade to GPSMAP 66i. Much appreciated

• Probablemente esta situación se da para obligar al cliente a pagar el plan. De esa forma, solo puedes cargar información si has contratado el servicio. 
    Personalmente me parece una estupidez impedir cargar rutas a quienes no cancelen el plan.

• I do not know if a plan is required to use the features of explore.garmin.com, including route creation. And I no longer have a legacy device with which to test.

• A plan is required to access ANY of the features on explore.garmin.com as I found out yesterday to my dismay. Very disappointed that I had to spend $50 just to upload a route to my device. 

• Note that the Explorer+ is a :"legacy" device. It was designed and sold by DeLorme before Garmin acquired DeLorme. As such, it does not belong to the Garmin ecosystem. Newer devices, such as the 66i and the Montana 7x0i ARE full members of the DeLorme ecosystem. In particular, you can access the file system on the device. You can load .gpx files with waypoints, tracks, routes, and so forth. 

I doubt that you will see ANY enhancements to the legacy devices. If you want these kinds of features in an iR device, you might consider upgrading to a newer device.